SELECT BIBLIOGRAPHY (Further reading on Olearius and Safavid Iran)
- Baron, Samuel H., Olearius' Travels in Seventeenth-Century Russia (Stanford, 1967)
- Baron, Samuel H., "Herberstein's Image of Russia and its Transmission through Later Writers", in his Explorations in Muscovite History (Hampshire, UK, 1991), XIII, pp. 245-273.
- Chardin, John, Sir John Chardin's Travels in Persia (London, 1927)
- Della Valle, Pietro, The pilgrim: the travels of Pietro Della Valle, trans. George Bull (London, 1989)
- Eskandar Beg Monshi, History of Shah Abbas, trans. Roger Savory (Boulder, Colorado, 1978)
- Eslami, Farhad, ed., Iran and Iranian Studies (Princeton, New Jersey, 1998)
- Floor, Willem, A fiscal history of Iran in the Safavid and Qajar periods, 1500-1925 (New York, 1998)
- Foster, William, ed., Thomas Herbert: Travels in Persia (New York, 1929)
- Fryer, John, A new account of East India and Persia in eight letters: being nine years travels, begun 1672 and finished 1681 (Delhi, 1985)
- Halperin, Charles J., "Sixteenth-Century Foreign Travel Accounts to Muscovy: A Methodological Excursus", Sixteenth-Century Journal, vol. 2 (October 1975), pp. 89-111.
- Halperin, Charles J., "In the Eye of the Beholder: Two Views of Seventeenth-Century Muscovy", Russian History, 24, No. 4 (Winter 1997), pp. 409-23.
- Lapidus, Ira M., A History of Islamic Societies (Cambridge, 1988)
- Matthee, Rudolph P., The Politics of Trade in Safavid Iran (Cambridge, 1999)
- McCabe, Ina Baghdiantz, The Shah’s Silk for Europe’s Silver: The Eurasian Trade of the Julfa Armenians in Safavid Iran and India, 1530-1750 (Atlanta, 1999)
- Melville, Charles, ed., Safavid Persia: the history and politics of an Islamic society (London, 1996)
- Sanson, Nicholas, The Present State of Persia (London, 1695)
- Savory, Roger, Iran Under the Safavids (Cambridge, 1980)
- Tavernier, Jean-Baptiste, Collections of travels through Turky into Persia, and the East-Indies ... (London, 1688)
- Weil, H.H., "A Seventeenth-Century German Looks at Russia", German Life and Letters, VIII, Jamed Boyd, ed., (1954-55), pp. 59-64.
- The Encyclopedia Iranica
© 2000 Lance Jenott