61. S. N. Beesabathuni, J. G. Stockham, J.-H. Kim, H.-B. Lee, J.H. Chung, A. Q. Shen, Fabrication of Conducting Polyaniline Microspheres using Droplet Microfluidics, RSC Advances, submitted, 2013.
60. J.-H. Kim, A. Q. Shen, K.-H. Lee, G. Cangelosi, J.-H. Chung, Contact Angle Changes Induced by Immunocomplex Formation, submitted, 2013.
59. P. Cheung, A. Q. Shen, Microfluidic flows of wormlike micellar solutions, Soft Matter, in revision, 2013.
58. X. Ulrich, A. Q. Shen, The forward locomotion of Ceanorhabditis elegans in viscoelastic fluids, Physics of Fluids, in revision, 2013.
57. J. J. Cardiel, L. Tonggu, Y. Zhao, L. Wang, A. Q. Shen, Flow-induced structured phase in nonionic micellar solutions, Langmuir, in revision, 2013.
56. J. J. Cardiel, L. Tonggu, A. C. Dohnalkova, P. de la Iglesia, D. Pozzo, L. Wang, A.Q. Shen, Worming their Way into Shape: toroidal formations in micellar solutions, ACS Nano, in revision, 2013.
55. P. Rangamani, D. Zhang, G. Oster, A. Q. Shen, Lipid tubule growth by osmotic pressure, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, to appear, 2013.
54. W. Chen, J.H. Kim, D. Zhang, K.H. Lee, G. A. Cangelosi, S. D. Soelberg, C.E. Furlong, J.-H. Chung, A. Q. Shen, Microfluidic one-step synthesis of alginate microspheres immobilized with antibodies, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 2013, 10, 20130566.
53. Q. Wang, D. Zhang, X. Yang, H. Xu, A. Q. Shen, Y. Yang, Atom-economical in situ synthesis of BaSO4 as imaging contrast agents within poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) microgels using one-step droplet microfluidics, Green Chemistry, 2013, 115, 222. DOI: 10.1039/c3gc40728d.
52. J. J. Cardiel, A.C. Dohnalkova, N. Dubash, Y. Zhao, P. Cheung, A. Q. Shen, Microstructure and rheology of a flow-induced structured phase in wormlike micellar solutions, PNAS Plus, 2013, 110 (18), E1653-E1660.
51. Q. Wang, D. Zhang, H. Xu, X. Yang, A.Q. Shen, Y. Yang, Microfluidic one-step fabrication of radiopaque alginate microgels containing in-situ formed BaSO4 nanoparticles for endovascular embolization, Lab on a Chip, 12, 4781, 2012.
50. K. Toda-Peters, P. Cheung, A. Q. Shen, In-Situ Pressure Measurement within Deformable Rectangular Polydimethlysiloxane (PDMS) Microfluidic Devices, Biomicrofluidics, 6, 4720394, 2012.
49. N. Dubash, P. Cheung, A. Q. Shen, Elastic instabilities in a microfluidic cross-slot flow of wormlike micellar solutions, Soft Matter, 8, 5847-5856, 2012.
48. W. Chen, M. Lisowski, G. Khalil, I. R. Sweet, A. Q. Shen, Microencapsulated 3-dimensional sensor for the measurement of oxygen in single isolated pancreatic islets, PLoS ONE, 7(3): e33070, 2012. (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033070)
47. P. Cheung, N. Dubash, A. Q. Shen, Local micelle concentration fluctuations in microfluidic flows and its relation to a flow-induced structured phase (FISP), Soft Matter, 8, 2304, 2012.
46. N. Dubash, J. J. Cardiel, Perry Cheung, A. Q. Shen, A stable flow-induced structured phase in wormlike micellar solutions, Soft Matter, 7, 876, 2011.
45. Woon-Hong Yeo, Fong-Li Chou, Gareth Fotouhi, Kieseok Oh, Blake T. Stevens, Hsiu-Yang Tseng, Dayong Gao, A. Q. Shen, Jae-Hyun Chung, Kyong-Hoon Lee, Size-selective immunofluorescence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis cells by capillary- and viscous forces, Lab on a Chip, 10, 3178, 2010.
44. A.Q. Shen, P. Cheung, The Freedom of Confinement in Complex Fluids, Feature article, Physics today, pg30–35, September, 2010.
43. D. Lu, N. Shomali, A.Q. Shen, Task specific ionic liquid for direct electrochem- istry of metal oxides, Electrochemistry Communications, 12, 1214–1217, 2010.
42. D. Lu, J. J. Cardiel, G. Cao, A.Q. Shen, Nanoporous Scaffold with Immobilized Enzymes during Flow-Induced Gelation for Sensitive H2O2 Biosensing, Advanced Materials, 22, 2809–2813, 2010.
41. M. Vasudevan, E. Buse, H. Krishna, R. Kalyanaraman, A. Q. Shen, B. Khomami, R. Sureshkumar, Irreversible nanogel formation in surfactant solutions by rapid flow deformation in microporous medium, Nature Materials, 9, 436-441, 2010.
40. X. Ulrich, E. Fried, A. Q. Shen, Crossover transition in flowing granular chains, Physical Review E, 80, 3, 030301, 2009.39. O. E. Shklyaev, A. Q. Shen, E. Fried, Stability of a sharp uniaxial-isotropic phase interface, JCIS, 339, 2, 502-510, 2009.
38. W. Chen, Y. Yang, D. Zhou, C. Rinadi, A. Q. Shen, Formation of supramolecular hydrogel microspheres via microfluidics, Lab on a Chip, 9, 20, 2947-2951, 2009.
37. W. Pickard, Nick Hansing, A. Q. Shen, Can large-scale advanced-adiabatic com- pressed air energy storage be justified economically in an age of sustainable energy?, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 1, 033102, 2009.
36. W. F. Pickard, A. Q. Shen, N. Hansing, Parking the power: Strategies and physical limitations for bulk energy storage in supply-demand matching on a grid whose input power is provided by intermittent sources, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, 8, 1934-1945, 2009.
35. O. E. Shklyaev, A. Q. Shen, E. Fried, Evolution equation for a disclination line located between the uniaxial and isotropic phases of a nematic liquid-crystal, JCIS 329, 1, 140-152, 2009.
34. O. E. Shklyaev , A. Q. Shen, Microfluidics enhanced control of the microstructure and flow of complex fluids, Invited review article, Mechanics Research Communica- tions, 36, 121-124, 2009.
33. W. Chen, Y. Yang, C. H. Lee, A. Q. Shen, Confinement effects on the self-assembly of organogels from 1,3:2,4-di-p-methylbenzylidene sorbitol in propylene carbonates, Langmuir, 24 18, 10432–10436, 2008.
32. B. Rapp, M.A. Reilly, P. D. Hamilton, A. Q. Shen, N. Ravi, Material characterization of porcine lenticular soluble proteins, Biomacromolecules, 9, 1519–1526, 2008.
31. T. S. Cohen, A. Smith, P. G. Massouros, P. V. Bayly, A. Q. Shen, G. M. Genin, Inelastic behavior in repeated shearing of bovine white matter, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 130, 044502, 2008.
30. W. S. Peters, M. Knoblauch, S. A. Warmann, W. F. Pickard, Amy Q. Shen, Kinetics of anisotropic contraction in forisomes: Simple models won’t fit, Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton, 65, 5, 368–378, 2008.
29. M. Vasudevan, B. Khomami, A.Q. Shen, R. Sureshkumar, Self-similar shear- thickening behavior in CTAB/NaSal surfactant solutions, Journal of Rheology, 52, 2, 527–550, 2008.
28. C. Tan, A. Q. Shen, E. Elson, L. Ma, Engineering lipid tubules using nano-sized building Blocks: the combinatorial self-assembly of vesicles, Lab on a Chip, 8, 339-345, 2008.
27. X. Chen, B. Hamlington, A. Q. Shen, Isotropic-nematic phase transition in a liquid crystal droplet, Langmuir, 24, 541-546, 2008.
26. J. Ashmore, A. Q. Shen, H. A. Stone, G. McKinley, Coating flows of non-Newtonian fluids: weakly and strongly elastic limits, Journal of Engineering Mathematics , 60,17-41, 2008.
25. A. Q. Shen, D. Wang, P. Spicer, Kinetics of colloidal templating using emulsion drop consolidation, Langmuir, 23, 12821-12826, 2007.
24. S. A. Warmann, W. F. Pickard, A. Q. Shen, Elastic properties of the forisome, Functional Plant Biology , 34, 1–11, 2007.
23. B. Hamlington, B. Steinhaus, J. Feng, D. Link, M. Shelley, Amy Q. Shen, Liquid crystal droplet production in a microfluidic device, Liquid Crystals, 34, 861–870, 2007.
22. B. Steinhaus, A. Q. Shen, R. Sureshkumar, Dynamics of viscoelastic fluid filaments in microfluidic devices, Physics of Fluids, 19, 073103–073116, 2007. Also selected for the July 23, 2007 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
21. R. A. Shoureshi, A. Q. Shen, Design of a biomimetic based monitoring and diagnostic system for civil structures, International Journal of Nanotechnology, 4, 309-324, 2007.
20. W. Peters, M. Knoblauch, S. Warmann, R. Schnetter, A. Q. Shen. W. F. Pickard, Tailed Forisomes of Canavalia gladiata: a New Model to Study Ca2+ -Driven Protein Contractility, Annals of Botany, 100, 101-109, 2007.
19. B. Steinhaus, M. Garcia, A. Q. Shen, L. T. Angenent, A portable anaerobic microbioreactor reveals optimum growth conditions for the methanogen Methanosaeta concilii, Applied Environmental Microbiology, 73, 1653-1658, 2007.
18. C. H. Lee, Y. Lu, A. Q. Shen, Evaporation induced rheology change during sol-gel coating, Physics of Fluids, 18, 052105–052126, 2006. Also selected for the June 5, 2006 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
17. B. Steinhaus, P. Spicer, A. Q. Shen, Droplet size effects on film drainage between droplet and substrate, Langmuir, 22 (12), 5308–5313, 2006.
16. W. F. Pickard, M. Knoblauch, W. Peters, A. Q. Shen, Prospective energy densi- ties in the forisome, a new smart material, Materials Science and Engineering: C Biomimetic and Supramolecular Systems, 26, 104–112, 2006.
15. A. Q. Shen, B. Hamlington, W. F. Pickard, W. Peters, M. Knoblauch, Forisome based biomimetic smart materials, Smart Structures and Systems, 2 (3), 225–236, 2006.
14. E. Fried, A. Q. Shen, M. E. Gurtin, Theory for solvent, momentum, and energy transfer between a surfactant solution and a vapor atmosphere, Physical Review E, 73, 061601-061624, 2006.
13. J. Dolbow, E. Fried, A. Q. Shen, Point defects in nematic gels: The case for hedge- hogs, Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 177, 21–51, 2005.
12. W. Alexandra, C. H. Lee, S. Roland, A. Q. Shen, Vortical interfaces between im- miscible fluids, Physics of Fluids, 16, S12, 2004. (Cited by ScienceDaily, Editor’s Note, March 9, 2004)
11. A. Q. Shen, Granular wave patterns and aeolian ripple formations, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, 458, 891–903, 2003.
10. A. Q. Shen, S. T. Thoroddsen, Granular jetting, Physics of Fluids , 14, S3, 2002.9. A. Q. Shen, B. Gleason, G. H. McKinley, H. A. Stone, Fiber coating with surfactant solutions, Physics of Fluids, 14, 4055–4068, 2002.
8. L. Shmuylovich, A. Q. Shen, H. A. Stone, Surface morphology of drying latex films: multiple ring formation, Langmuir, 18, 3441–3445, 2002.
7. A. Q. Shen, Granular wave patterns in a horizontal rotating cylinder, Physics of Fluids, 14, 462–470, 2002.
6. S. T. Thoroddsen, A. Q. Shen, Granular jets, Physics of Fluids, 13, 4–6, 2001.
5. N. J. Balmforth, A. Burbidge, R. V. Craster, J. Salzig, A. Q. Shen, Visco-plastic models of isothermal lava domes, Journal of Fluid Mechanics,, 403, 37-65, 2000.
4. A. Q. Shen, E. Fried, S. T. Thoroddsen, Is segregation-by-particle-type a generic mechanism underlying finger formation at fronts of flowing granular media, Particulate Science and Technology , 17, 141–147, 1999.
3. E. Fried, A. Q. Shen, Generalization of the Stefan model to allow for both velocity and temperature jumps, Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics, 11, 277–296, 1999.
2. E. Fried, A. Q. Shen, S. T. Thoroddsen, Wave patterns in a thin layer of sand within a rotating horizontal cylinder, Physics of Fluids, 10, 10–12, 1998.
1. R. H. Dodds, A. Q. Shen, D. Boothman, A. R. Luxmoore, J Estimation for shallow notch SE(B) specimens: 3 and 4 point bending vs. pure bending, International Journal of Fracture A, 77, R11–R17, 1996.
- B. Steinhaus, L. Angenent & A. Q. Shen, The anaerobic micro-bioreactor for environmental and biological applications, May 2005.
- R. Shoureshi & A. Q. Shen, Self-powered sensory nerve system for civil structures using hybrid forisome actuators, February 2005.
- Jae-Hyun Chung, Kyong-Hoon Lee, Amy Shen, John Kramlich, Gareth Fotouhi, Jong-Hoon Kim, Single-wire metal-O2 battery for portable and remote devices, Provisional Patent, April 2013.