Self organizing systems, concurrency, distributed algorithms, robotics, molecules and control theory.
- 1/25: Today we plated up some K-25 from a slant and stuck the plates in the incubator. Josh and I made lame petri dishes with lumpy agar. Ranjana's was, of course, perfect. We discovered that we don't have much of what we need for the next step, in particular a shaker-incubator. So we spent most of the time scoping out and ordering equipment. Later in the day, I ordered a shaker-incubator, a water bath, another set of pipettors and two more owl gel boxes.
- 1/26: We took the plates out of the incubator and put them in the refrigerator that we inherited with a bunch of possibly abandoned stuff in it. The frig doesn't smell very good. We will need to figure out how to dispose of everything and then clean the frig really well. Josh and I also perused the biobricks wiki and dreamed of the possibilities. It looks like there will be more equipment that we will need if we want to do anything beyond what is in our textbook. Sigh. In for a penny in for a pound, I suppose.
- 2/1: We transfer plated e. coli to LB suspensions today. Our shaker incubator has not arrived yet, so we had to "invent" something: a vortexer with a styrofoam tub holder taped to the top -- all stuck into an incubator.
- 2/2: Well, the shaker sort of fell apart sometime in the night, but things seem fine anyway. Nothing spilled. Today we made a new suspension and measured the OD every 20 minutes to see the growth curve. This worked great!
- 2/8: Restriction analysis.