Resources for your RSO

NOTE: a complete list of our equipment available for check-out (accompanied by pictures of the equipment) is available on our Reservations page.

This page contains resources available to your student group from the Resource Center and other entities both on and off campus. While this Resources page contains snippets from the RSO Policy Guide (a publication by the Student Activities Office), this page is more of an organic collection of knowledge intended to provide groups information concerning printing, promotion, adverising, technology on campus, funding, space resources, equipment, and those crazy tidbits of information that you won’t find anywhere else. If you are looking for regulations of what you can and can’t do on campus, you will find some here, but you should check out the RSO Policy Guide first or contact the SAO directly

Promotion & Advertising

Posters and Flyers

Posting Fliers in the Resource Center

There are various poster boards in the Resource Center for RSOs to use to promote their organization or events.

HUB Bulletin Boards

There are 10 public posting bulletin boards located throughout the HUB. All bulletin board postings must be approved and stamped by a HUB staffer at the HUB Main Desk before being posted. Check here for a complete list of HUB posting options, rules, and requirements.

Residence Halls

Registered Student Organizations can post fliers in the residence halls, as long as they are dropped off at the front desk of each residence hall you wish to post fliers in. See below for a list of how many fliers are allowed per hall and each front desk phone number:

  • Haggett Hall: 206-543-7164, 2 flyers
  • Hansee and McCarty Halls: 206-543-5527, Drop off at McCarty front desk, 5 total flyers
  • Lander Hall, Terry Hall, Mercer Hall and Stevens Court: 206-543-0235, 8 total flyers
  • McMahon Hall: 206-543-7107, 2 flyers


To post fliers in Odegaard, simply visit the Circulation desk (front desk) on the first floor and ask one of the staffers to post them.

Kiosks on Campus

Kiosks on campus are available for general student use. There are three locations on the main campus:

  • South side of Schmitz Hall
  • Between Savery Hall and Raitt Hall

Posting Boards in Other Campus Buildings

Rules for posting/bulletin boards in other campus buildings vary considerable. You should always consult the academic department before posting in that department’s building. Usually there is some sort of front desk or departmental office to consult on most buildings on campus.

Handbills/Sandwich Boards/Chalking


  • Handing out fliers/leaflets/handbills: The university policy allows students to freely hand out non-commercial materials in public areas and in rooms reserved for that purpose, as long as it does not impede the University functioning or restrict freedom of movement. All materials must identify the student group sponsoring the materials. Students are prohibited from handing out materials inside buildings (this includes the HUB). For more information on this see: Handbill Policy for RSOs.
  • Sandwich boards are available for day-use check-out from the Resource Center. We have already gone through the appropriate measures to get a sandwich board approved for use on the grounds by the Grounds Improvement Advisory Committee, so there is no need to apply for its use outside of making a reservation with us. Should you wish to use a sandwich board other than ours, you will have to go through an application process and make a $35 refundable deposit. For more information about this process, visit Sandwich Board Policy for RSOs.
  • Chalking on campus is allowed on concrete and asphalt walkways, provided the chalk is water-soluble and non-aerosol. Chalk can’t be used on brick, stone, marble, verticle surfaces etc. Your RSO’s name should be included in all chalking. You can be fined for not following these rules, so see Chalking Policy for RSOs


The Resource Center encourages RSOs to table in front of the HUB. The Resource Center has 6-foot and 4-foot tables and smaller card-tables available for RSOs to reserve.  RSOs table between the HUB and Suzzallo library. Canopies can be used to table in front of the HUB as long as safe weather conditions allow. In order to insure safety when high winds prevail, the Resource Center manager will decide if canopies can or cannot be checked out by RSOs.

Registered Student Organizations are limited to reserve equipment from Resource Center up to 3 weeks in advanced. This will ensure all RSOs  receive an opportunity to reserve equipment.


Kane Hall Outdoor Banner Space

RSOs may display banners that promote campus programs and events in the designated area on the exterior Kane Hall. RSOs may request banner space during fall, winter and spring quarter through the Student Activities Office.

Students should read the Kane Banner Policy for details about outdoor banner requirements.

The Resource Center offers materials for RSOs to make temporary outdoor banners from the Resource Center. The waterproof material, with side grommets, is sized is 3′ x 12′ and the design (i.e., lettering, etc.) is done with colored duct tape that we provide. All of these supplies are free.  You don’t need to reserve these supplies; they are available during our staff hours. You should note that our banner material is essentially a grey tarp; if you want something more visually appealing, you may want to purchase a printed vinyl banner.

Banner Vendors

HUB Indoor Banner Space

The HUB has 4 banner spaces for RSOs to advertise on-campus events. The banners are visible in the HUB Street from the first, second and third floors. Reservations may be made at the HUB Information Desk. Check here for a complete list of HUB posting options, rules, and requirements.

Campus Newspaper & Radio Station

The Daily
Classified Advertising: 206-543-2335
Display Advertising: (206) 685-4143

Rainy Dawg Radio (UW student radio station)
Email: General Manager
Phone: (206) 685-0890

  • Free on-air advertising for campus groups
  • Music, giveaways for your event
  • Co-sponsor events to increase attendance
  • News spots as well

Event Calendars


Many student groups decide they want to make T-shirts to promote an event or cause. Below you’ll find a number of resources that we’ve come across or that students have used in the past. All of these companies will require you to buy the shirts and pay for the printing; depending on your cause you may be able to get a discount with some of the printers. We’ve tried to include a number of fair trade and/or enviro-friendly producers as well. We recommend that you first contact the company you want to use, discuss what you can afford, what printing and t-shirt colors are available, and THEN make your design. Sometimes intricate designs that look great on a computer screen don’t always translate well to printing on fabric, so make sure you’re designing with both your budget and the feasibility of the end product in mind. See below for a couple of companies that specialize in printing shirts.

    A 100% union-made apparel from a Palestinian factory; can get organic cotton too.
  • UniteHERE!
    For clothing in the global north, support UNITE-HERE! (the U.S. garment union, UNITE-HERE! stands for Union of Needletrades, Industrial, and Textile Employees – Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees).

Resource Center Supplies

Butcher Paper

The Resource Center offers butcher paper (along with paints, brushes and marking pens).  RSO staff will assist and account for the RSO taking Butcher Paper. Colors available: black, white, purple, gold, red, yellow, orange, pink, green, lt blue, dark blue, lt green.

Quantity Limits: 50ft. per week, per group. Butcher paper needs to be judiciously used so that the Resource Center can ensure that it remains continuously in stock for all groups to utilize.


The Resource Center has two button making machines and circle cutters to produce both 1″ and 2-1/4” buttons. Unfortunately, with over 600 student organizations on the UW campus, the Resource Center must limit what resources we offer to our RSOs.  We offer each 2-1/4″ set of button parts (1 button back, 1 pin, and 1 plastic cover) for $0.08, and each 1″ button set for $0.06. This will be taken off of your RSO’s balloon/button limit for the year.  In consideration of other RSOs, please limit your button usage to 1-60 buttons per day.

Button Resources


The Resource Center offers 11″ balloons and helium to RSOs. There is an annual limited use for balloons as there is for buttons. Balloons are available in a small variety of colors, and take $0.08 each out of your allowance for the year. A helium tank and hand air-pumps are available on-site to fill balloons. In consideration of other RSOs, please limit your balloon usage to 10-15 balloons per day.

Please Note: Helium charges will apply even if you bring your own balloons.


The Resource Center has a 24 inch wide laminator capable of laminating paper banners and other flat materials. We ask that you only laminate materials that you will re-use more than a few times. In other words, do not laminate signs with a date on them, or items that advertise one-time events. If you wish to laminate something of this nature, of if you want to laminate something larger than what our machine can handle, you may want to check out the following places (you will have to pay for lamination at most of these places–scroll down to the next section on Printing to view contact information on the copy centers, HUB info desk etc.)

Other Laminating Services


Black & White Copying/Printing

RSOs can make up to 5,000 copies/prints per year free of charge at the Resource Center. Our printer and copier can handle up to 12″ by 18″ paper. We provide white and color paper to print on. Each black and white copy or print costs one copy off your 5000 per year limit (double-sided costs two copies). Our black and white copier has a wide variety of functions, including booklet printing, automatic folding, stapling, hole-punching etc. Our staffers are happy to provide you assistance with the copier should you need it!

Color Printing

The Resource Center has two color printers: a 24 inch wide large format color printer that prints on a roll, as well as a standard format color printer that prints letter (8 1/2″ x 11″), legal (8 1/2″ x 14″), and tabloid (11″ x 17″). LARGE FORMAT COLOR PRINTER: We ask that you keep your color prints to a reasonable size (e.g. 24″ by 32″), unless you are printing a banner (even then, please be judicious with what you print). Each color print costs your group 15 prints per linear foot off of your 5,000 prints per year limit.

STANDARD FORMAT COLOR PRINTER: Each color print off of the standard format color printer costs your group 10 prints off of your 5000 prints per year limit, regardless of paper size.

Campus Copy Centers

Campus Copy Centers

Copy and Mail Center
Location: Communications B042
Hours: M-F, 8am-5pm
Phone: 206-543-9630
Costs: Approx. $0.90 for letter sized (8.5” x 11”)

Digital Commons in Gould Hall

The Digital Commons in Gould Hall offers large format color printing and scanning. The Digital Commons is operated by the College of Built Environments

Website: Digital Commons
Location: Gould Hall Basement
Hours: M-F, 8am-6pm/When UW in session
Hours: M-F, 8am-5pm/When UW not in session
Phone: 206-543-8531

24-Hour Copying

There are a number of copy and print centers available on the Ave, but only FedEx Kinko’s is open 24 hours a day.

Fed Ex Kinko’s

Location: 810 NE 45th St., Seattle, WA 98144
Phone: 206-545-7218

Poster Printing

UW Posters
Location: Health Sciences Building T-271
Phone: 206-543-9275
Hours: M-F, 7:30am-5pm

Newspaper & Magazine Printing

Pacific Publishing Company

Location: 636 S. Alaska Street, Seattle, WA 98108
Contact: Terry Fain, Sales Manager
Phone: 206-461-1322
NOTE: They print The Daily and did print Ruckus and have been found to be the most inexpensive newsprint publishers in the area.

Digicopy ‘N’ Print

Location: 164 Denny Way, Seattle, WA 98109
Phone: 206-443-1234
Fax: 206-443-1849
NOTE: They print Right Turn

Technology Resources

Creating & Publishing Websites

UW-IT provides in-depth instructions and information regarding Web Publishing on the dedicated UW servers for student accounts:

STF Computer Loan Program

Laptops (both Mac and PC), projectors, projection screens, digital cameras, digital camcorders, voice recorders/MP3 players, audio systems, PowerPoint remotes/laser pointers, calculators, extra lenses/flashes for DSLR cameras, Blu-ray burners/players (that also read/write DVDs and CDs), Wacom Tablets, wireless microphones, microphone stands, and accessories for all equipment are available for check out to students with at least 24-hours notice (by at least noon before the desired pick up date).

For more information and to make a reservation (with a current/valid UW student ID), visit STF Loan Program website.
NOTE: They do not make reservations over the phone or in person, only online. The program is closed between quarters and on University holidays.

Kane Hall Office – Room 035
Office Hours: M-F, 8am-5pm.
Phone: 206-685-6090

Health Sciences Building Office – Room I-146

Office Hours: M-F, 8am-5pm.
Phone: 206-543-3465

Computer Repair

UW-IT Computer Maintenance Group provides computer repair at $135/hour.

Digital Audio Workstation

The Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Suite is located in Odegaard Room 216. The full function studio allows you to record, tweak, edit and master whatever audio project you can dream up.

Free & Low Cost Trainings & Workshops

Catalyst Services

Catalyst can help you meet the daily demands of teaching, learning, research or work with our innovative and effective technologies and services. Take advantage of our award-winning Web Tools, Learning Spaces, and Knowledge Services to meet your goals. We develop our tools and services collaboratively, tapping the expertise of faculty, students, and staff to meet campus-wide needs.

UW Computer Training

UW-IT Technology Spaces

Technology Spaces

Video Conferencing Services

Classroom Support Services (CSS) provides students with video conferencing equipment that is capable of video conferencing anywhere. The teleconferencing unit is located in the basement of Kane Hall. Visit CSS Videoconferencing for details or email at least 14 days before your event.

UW-IT Computing Resources & Assistance

Contact UW-IT
Phone: 206-221-5000
Hours of telephone assistance: M-Th: 10am-8pm, F: 10am-5pm

Funding Resources

Alumni Assocation Funding

The Alumni Association funds on-campus RSO events up to $500 per group per year. Download the application, view contact information, and learn more about the process here: Student Activity Grants. Funding is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

ASUW Event Funding

The ASUW annually sets aside a special appropriations fund specifically for RSO events. RSOs can apply according to a tier system–older groups putting on bigger events can receive more money than can newer groups putting on smaller events. For all pertinent information, visit the sites listed below and make sure to make an appointment with your SAO advisor.

  • The first step is to discuss your event and funding request with your SAO advisor
  • To see ASUW Funding rules/deadlines and to submit a funding request, visit
  • For information from the student policy guide: RSO Policy Guide

GPSS Event Funding

The Graduate & Professional Student Senate also sets aside money each year for RSO events. Only graduate students may apply for GPSS funding. See GPSS Funding.

Federal Tax ID Number

RSOs may require an Employer Identification Number (EIN) issued by the IRS in order to open a bank account. For additional information please consult with an SAO adviser and review the IRS guidelines for submitting form SS-4 for an EIN.

Event, Meeting, & Storage Spaces

On Campus Meeting Spaces

The HUB – HUB Event Services

Location: HUB 117 – HUB Main Desk
Website: HUB Event Services
Phone: 206-543-8191

Off-Campus Meeting Spaces

Chapel on the Ave

Address: 4130 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105
Phone: 206-491-3881
Fax: 206-634-0856
Room Rental Info: Meeting and general purpose rooms available.

University Friends (Quakers) Meeting House

Address: 4001 9th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105
Hours: M-F, 9a-1p
Website: University Friends Meeting
Phone: 206-547-6449
Room Rental Info: The Meetinghouse of University Friends Meeting (UFM) is available for rent to organizations and individuals which share a similar philosophy to Quaker Practice. As a non-profit, religious organization, UFM rents its facilities only for non-profit events. UFM encourages community use of our facilities and welcomes activities promoting fellowship, such as recitals, readings, and folk dances. The meeting does not welcome events that involve games of chance or that promote divisiveness among peoples.

University Heights Center

Address: 5031 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105
Phone: 206-527-4278
Room Rental Info:


HUB Lockers

The HUB has many lockers for rent in the Ground floor of the HUB near the HUB Games Area. Students may rent lockers by the quarter or school year. Visit HUB Locker Rentals for details.

Bagley Hall

For free use of locker space, open lockers are available on the 2nd and 3rd floors of Bagley Hall.  Users must provide their own padlock. In addition, they must empty the locker and remove the padlock during the academic breaks between quarters.


Equipment at the Resource Center

Computing Resources

  • 13 Windows 7 PCs
  • Microsoft Office 2010 (with Access, FrontPage, and Publisher on the PCs as well)
  • Adobe CS6: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Professional
  • Macromedia Studio 8: Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks

Other Electronic Resources

  • “Cricut” 12″ wide die cutting (letter and shape) machine
  • Large format 24″ wide color printer (HP)
  • Black & white laser printer
  • Black & white digital copier
  • Electric typewriter
  • Large format (24″ wide) laminator
  • Paper folding machine
  • Wireless access for laptops (non-UW)

Miscellaneous Resources

  • Button maker (makes 2 1/4″ buttons)
  • Cutting boards (both heavy and light duty)
  • Desks and work areas
  • Envelopes (standard and manilla), address labels
  • Hole Punches (both heavy and light duty)
  • Paints & brushes, marking pens
  • Poster paper of assorted colors
  • Staples (manual and electric), Tape, Glue
  • Telephones (4 phone lines)
  • Transparencies
  • Unofficial/informal meeting space for groups

Food Equipment

Renting Food Service Equipment

Harlan’s Concession Supplies
Phone: 1-800-848-0150
Address: 7819 South 196th Street, Kent, WA 98038

Harlan’s provides popcorn, slushie, snow cone, shaved ice, and cotton candy machines plus other food equipment. You’ll probably need someone with a car or pickup truck to get the equipment since they’re in Kent. Please note, if you’re serving food on university property you’ll need to talk to your SAO adviser and fill out the necessary paperwork. See the RSO handbook or come on in and talk to us if you need help. Has your group used another company for food rentals? Let us know and we’ll put it on the website!

Purchasing Equipment

Purchasing/Renting Canopies

Canopies by Fred
Contact: Marv Kvamme
Phone number: 206-782-2166 or 1-800-845-5067
Address: 1147 NW 53rd St., Seattle, WA 98107
Note: We use the Caravan Canopies

Purchasing Tables (light weight, but heavy duty)

Phone: 1-800-909-8034
Contact: Rick Black
Phone number: 1-800-837-1468
Fax: 801-224-6191
Address: 1301 West 400 North, Orem, Utah 84057-4442
Note: We use the Mity-Lite rectangular folding tables

Purchasing Hand Trucks

Northwest Caster and Equipment
Contact: David Eggenberger
Phone: 206-632-6200
Fax: 206-632-6400
Address: 4111 Aurora Ave. North, Seattle, WA 98103
Note: We use the Dutro 120 3-WAY (Dutro Three-Way Convertible Delivery Truck)

Vehicle Rental from UW Motor Pool

UW Motorpool
Office phone: 206-685-1566
NOTE: Motor pool rentals by RSOs must be pre-approved by Assistant Director of Student Activities.
NOTE: Cultural/International RSOs can check out vans from the UW Motor Pool with the departmental sponsorship of Ethnic Cultural Center. There is an approximately $25 per day rental fee.

Comments are closed.