Medical Speech-Language Pathology Program
Tuition & Fees
The Master of Science program in Medical Speech-Language Pathology (MedSLP) is a fee-based or self-sustaining graduate program administered through the University of Washington Professional & Continuing Education (UW PCE). UW PCE is the administrator for over 60 fee-based graduate degree programs at the University of Washington.
Because the MedSLP program is fee-based, the registration and tuition processes operate differently from state programs (e.g. CoreSLP). MedSLP degree program students register for all coursework and pay the established program fees through UW PCE on a quarterly basis. Students enrolled in the MedSLP program also pay a fixed tuition rate each quarter. That is, students are NOT charged on a per credit basis, but pay the same tuition rate each quarter, regardless of the number of credits in which they enroll.
If for any reason a student registers for less than a full-time credit load, he/she will still be charged the fixed tuition rate. There is no part-time or per-credit rate available for this degree program per our contractual arrangements with PCE and the University of Washington. The fixed tuition rate also covers ONLY the approved MedSLP coursework outlined in this program plan. If students want to register for other UW courses that are not part of the MedSLP curriculum, they will be charged additional tuition at the UW Graduate Tier 1 per credit rate for the Seattle campus.
The fixed tuition rate also covers ONLY the approved MedSLP coursework outlined in this program plan. If students want to register for other UW coursers that are not part of the MedSLP curriculum, they will be charged additional tuition at the UW Graduate Tier 1 per credit rate for the Seattle campus.
Despite the differences in registration and tuition, graduate students in the Medical Speech-Language Pathology program (and any fee-based program) are eligible for the same graduate student services as individuals in WA state-funded programs, including financial aid, campus healthcare, housing, insurance, etc.
1) Non-Refundable Program Deposit
Once accepted, all new students must submit a $500 deposit to UWPCE to secure a space in the program. Initial acceptance notifications are emailed in March. The mandatory $500 deposit is applied toward the first quarter tuition total, but is due immediately at the time of acceptance. Entering students may not wait until financial aid is distributed to submit the deposit.
2) Instructional Fees
Unlike graduate programs at the University that are funded by the state of Washington, different “in-state” and “out-of-state” tuition rates are not assessed for this fee-based program. Rather, there is an established instructional fee that graduate students pay for the degree program no matter the individual’s residency status. This tuition rate/instruction fee is fixed each quarter and is not calculated on a per credit basis. Please note that this instructional fee does not include the cost of textbooks or materials and is subject to change.
3) University Fees
UW graduate students are responsible for the following University fees. All are paid directly to UW PCE at the time of registration, with the exception of the UPASS fee which is charged quarterly to each student’s account (accessible through MyUW):
- Building fee - A fee paid to offset security, maintenance and utilities (included in the tuition rate).
- Registration fee - A nonrefundable fee paid each quarter to UW PCE at the time of registration.
- Student Technology fee - This fee supports the improvement of technology used by students at the University of Washington campuses. The Student Technology Fee Committee determines the expenditure of this fee. Students at the UW lead the committee which allocates money for technology resources for general student use. The fee is paid quarterly, except during Summer.
- Services & Activities (S&A) fee - This fee is a student levied and distributed fee to support and enhance student activities and programs at the UW, including the Associated Students of UW (ASUW), the Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS), Campus Sustainability Fund, Childcare Assistance Program, Classroom Support Services, Counseling Center, Ethnic Cultural Center & Theater Complex, Hall Health Primary Care Center, Q Center, Recreational Sports Programs, Husky Union Building, Student Legal Services, and Student Publications. The fee is paid quarterly.
- IMA Bond fee – This fee supports the expansion of the Intramural Activities (IMA) building and improvements to recreational sports programs facilities including construction of a multi-activity sports field and renovation of the golf driving range. The fee is paid quarterly.
- U-Pass / Transportation fee – This fee is mandatory for all registered and enrolled UW Seattle campus students. Refunds on this fee are no longer available. The fee is paid quarterly.
4) Departmental Fees
All Master of Science graduate students are responsible for the following mandatory departmental fees:
- Immunization fee – All clinical graduate students at the UW are required to participate in the Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP) provided through UW Campus Health Services. An annual fee is charged to cover the costs associated with reviewing, documenting and tracking student compliance with immunization and tuberculosis screening requirements, the costs of mandatory annual PPD skin tests and flu shots, as well as costs associated with any blood borne pathogen exposures that may occur at clinical sites while enrolled in the graduate program. An annual fee is charged each Autumn quarter.
- Background check fees – All graduate students in the department are required to complete and successfully pass a national background check as a condition of admission. The fee is paid directly to the vendor, Verified Credentials, prior to starting the program. In addition, students in the MedSLP program are required to complete a repeat background check before the start of their second year in the program and their off-site clinical placements. If a student decides to leave the state of Washington for a full-time internship, he/she may also be required to complete another full background check for their assigned internship site.
Medical Speech-Language Pathology Program Tuition & Fee Summary Academic Year 2015-2016
Please note that tuition and program fees are subject to change.
|Program Fees||Academic Quarter||Quarterly Total||Yearly Total|
|UW PCE Instructional Fee||Aut, Win, Sp, Su||
|UW PCE Registration fee||Aut, Win, Sp, Su||
|Student Technology fee||Aut, Win, Sp||$41||
|Service and Activities fee||Aut, Win, Sp, Su||
|IMA Bond Fee||Aut, Win, Sp, Su||$32||$128|
|UPASS / Transportation Fee||Aut, Win, Sp, Su||$76||$304|
|Facilities Renovation Fee||Aut, Win, Sp, Su||$84
|Total||Autumn, Winter, Spring||
|Department Fees||Year One||Year Two|
HSIP Immunization fee
Background check fee
At time of Acceptance
National Check $72