New Graduate Students
Ph.D. / Doctor of Philosophy Degree Program Information
New Student Instructions
Registration / Coursework Information
All Ph.D. students will register for classes between June 23, 2014 and September 23, 2014.
Student Compliance Requirements
Please complete these online admissions requirements within 30 days of receiving your welcome packet (by 6/10/14).
- Criminal Background Check – first read the Ph.D. background check instructions and then complete the background check online through our vendor Verified Credentials
- UW Internet ID – set up your unique UW internet ID account and password online through UW IT Connect
- UW Email Account - set up your new UW email/deskmail account at UW Deskmail Services
Please turn in the following paperwork no later than 9/26/14.
- Final Transcripts – once your final transcripts are ready and your degree is posted
- Mail the transcript(s) designated on your “Application Status Page” to the UW Graduate School.
- Mail or hand deliver the transcripts for all schools attended and listed on your application to the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences.
- You must submit transcripts to both places.
- Health Insurance Portability & Accountability (HIPAA) Training – Complete this free, UW online training once you are contacted by our HIPAA Privacy Office (Nancy Alarcon) in August, retaining the certificate of completion for uploading during the first week of class.
- UW Medicine Privacy Agreement - Review, sign, and upload during the first week of class.
MAIL YOUR MATERIALS TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:
University of Washington
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences
ATTN: Ernie Lefler / Graduate Program Advisor
1417 NE 42nd St
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98105-6246
Each September, the UW Center for Instructional Development and Research (CIDR) holds a TA/RA conference on Teaching, Learning and Research. All new doctoral students in our department are required to register and attend this free conference being held on:
- Tuesday, September 16, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 17, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
To participate in the TA/RA Conference, students will:
- Enroll in 1 credit of GRDSCH 615A through the UW Time Schedule. This must happen during new student registration which runs from June 23, 2014 through September 23, 2014.
- Register online for specific TA/RA conference workshops through the CIDR TA/RA Conference website. This must happen between June 23, 2014 and August 3, 2014. We require our new students to register for the following events:
- Plenary Session - New students will learn about their professional roles as TAs and RAs, UW resources and policies, etc.
- Individual Workshops - a minimum of two individual workshops of your choice. The department will send you specific recommendations in June when registration opens.
Please note that any TAs who are not native speakers of English are also required to register for and attend the International TA Program workshops. They are being held on Monday, September 15, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.