Doctor of Philosophy Program
How to Apply
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program conducts a yearly admissions process with entrance in Autumn and Summer quarters only. Most applicants, however, are encouraged to apply for Autumn entry. Applications submitted before or after the deadlines listed below will not be considered.
- We only accept applications between September 15th and February 15th.
- All applicants (domestic and international) must submit their application no later than February 15th of the year for which they are applying.
- Please DO NOT apply before September 15th. Any applications submitted before that date will not be considered.
- Please note that we do not review applications on an “as received” or rolling basis. All applications are reviewed subsequent to the deadline of February 15th.
As the deadline approaches, the high volume of applications can cause system slowdowns. We strongly encourage you to submit your application early to avoid delays.
International Applicants: The deadline for international applicants is February 15th. Applicants are required to provide additional application materials and information to the University of Washington Graduate School when they apply. Once an international applicant has submitted the online UW Graduate School Application and paid the application fee, a detailed checklist of requirements is provided.
Repeat Applicants: Applicants who previously applied to the program should be aware that applications are held for only one year. Denied applicants from the previous autumn application period must submit all new materials.
Graduate Nonmatriculated Applicants: We DO NOT accept graduate nonmatriculated applications to our PhD program.
Applicants to the Doctor of Philosophy degree program must submit an ONLINE application for admission using the UW Graduate School Application. This online application allows you to jointly submit the required information to both the UW Graduate School (primary application) and the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences (supplemental application). All information and materials, with the exception of official GRE scores, should be submitted through the online process. Please do not mail paper applications to the Department or Graduate School.
Follow these 2 steps to apply:
1) Complete the online UW Graduate School Application (submitting all required documentation online as well), including the required $75 application fee. Application sections are as follows:
- Select the Graduate Program for which you are applying.
- Review the application requirements and deadlines
- Report all prior schools attended
- Submit UNOFFICIAL transcripts
- Self report GRE scores (NOTE: You are still required to submit official scores to the UW. See step 2 below).
- Designate 3 recommenders to submit letters of recommendation. Letters must be submitted online.
- Submit a statement of purpose
- Submit a writing sample or paper
- Complete the department’s Supplemental Doctoral Program Application and upload it to your UW Graduate Application.
- Pay the $75 Graduate Application fee and submit your application
2) Submit official GRE scores to the University of Washington using GRE score report code 4854
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants do not have to submit official transcripts to the Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences or the UW Graduate School unless they accept a formal offer of admission to the graduate program. Visit the UW Graduate School Admissions FAQ for instructions on where to send official transcripts if you are accepted.
Other Important Information
Accessing & Updating Your Application: Anyone submitting a new application will be asked to establish a login email address and password. Once an online application is initiated applicants can save their work and return to the application as many times as needed using their login email and password Keep your login email address and password somewhere secure as you will need it to update your application if you do not complete it in one sitting, to check on the status of your application through February 1st, and to access our final admission decision in March.
Incomplete applications (those not completed with application fee payment) will not be deleted from the application system until 30 days after the start of the requested academic quarter of admission.
Letters of Recommendation: Do not designate your recommenders online until you are ready to have the recommenders contacted. When you designate a recommender, the person you have designated is immediately sent an email to submit a recommendation on your behalf. You can designate recommenders before and after you have submitted your online application, up until the program deadline. If, after designating a recommendation, you learn that the recommender will not submit a recommendation, you may remove the recommendation by selecting the "withdraw" link in the action column of the table below. You cannot withdraw a recommendation once the recommender has submitted it.
Incomplete Applications: It is each applicant’s responsibility to verify that all required materials have been submitted and received in a timely manner by both the Graduate School and the Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Once an online application has been submitted students can check the status by logging in to their application status page. Every year applications are not considered due to missing letters of recommendation, transcripts, GRE scores, etc., so please follow-up on missing items accordingly.
Selection Criteria: We consider all information submitted with your application. Our goal is to select an intellectually capable, diverse group of students. High GPA and GRE scores are desirable but not the determining factors in admission.