Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is airfare included in the program fee?

    No. Participants will be required to make their own travel arrangements to Israel. Specific instructions on how to reach our accomodations at Kfar Galim from Ben Gurion Airport will be e-mailed to all participants.
  • Do I need a visa?

    Americans do not need to obtain a visa in advance of travel to Israel. Instead, they should obtain a free three-month tourist visa upon arrival to Ben Gurion Airport. Citizens of other countries should consult their respective visa laws.
  • Are Field School university credits transferable?

    Yes, they are. Nevertheless, please double check with your university.
  • What medical care is available? Do I need any vaccinations?

    Modern medical care is readily available in Israel, and both Kfar Galim and Tel Dor are close to major hospitals in Haifa and Hadera, respectively. No vaccinations are required. Nevertheless, universally useful vaccinations (like Hepatitis and Tetanus) are recommended.
  • How hot will it be?

    Temperatures in the 80 degree Fahrenheit range are common. Such temperatures are mitigated by the fact that Dor is located on the sea, and cooled by breezes from the Mediterranean. Work at Tel-Dor is done in the shade of tents or indoors, and the workday ends at 1pm, before the hottest time of day. Nevertheless, all participants must exercise caution to protect themselves. Dehydration and heatstroke, though rare, have occurred. Sunscreen and hats are compulsory.
  • What are my options for travel beyond Tel-Dor?

    The UW Field School includes one field trip to sites in Northern Israel. See the "Field Trip" under the "Field School" menu. It is reasonable for Tel-Dor participants to make weekend trips to Jerusalem, Tel-Aviv, the Dead Sea, and Akko. Participants are able to rent a car or share the cost of a group taxi. It is also common for volunteers to append several days to the beginning or end of their trip for more extensive travel in Israel or beyond. Those wishing to visit neighboring countries may enter Jordan and Egypt with Israeli stamps on their passport, but are ineligible to enter any of the other Arab states.