From the days of King Solomon to the reign of the Roman Emperor Alexander Severus (222-235 CE), the harbor and port town of Dor attracted a multitude of merchants, immigrants, and conquerors to the Carmel coast. Dor today is one of the country’s largest and most complex archaeological sites, and as such plays a pivotal role in our understanding of both the history of coastal occupation in north central Israel and the processes of acculturation and assimilation whereby native populations interact with those around them.
Dor, one of the few natural harbors on Israel’s coast, is situated in an especially attractive area of the country. We are bordered to the north by a large wildlife preserve, and are just a short drive from the Carmel Range, the famed Carmel caves (the site of settlements dating back to the Paleolithic Era), the artists’ community of Eid Hod, and the town of Zichron Ya’akov, one of the first Jewish settlements in Israel, founded in 1882 by Baron Edmond James de Rothschild—who is also the builder of our site museum—and named in memory of his father.
Dor is situated about 35 kilometers (about 22 miles) south of Haifa and 50 kilometers (about 30 miles) north of Tel Aviv. Caesarea—the impressive port city built by Herod the Great and the site of the only epigraphical evidence of Pontius Pilate—is a short drive south, and makes an excellent weekend day-trip; Megiddo, the mythological venue of “Armageddon,” is a quick trip inland; the modern Arab town of Akko, which takes its name from ancient crusader fort of Acre, is about an hour’s drive north.