- The Culture Collab attends the Seattle Asian American Film Festival 2019 to learn about how Asian Americans are represented in Asian American-made films.
- Dr. Fryberg receives the Award for Distinguished Service to the Society at the 2019 SPSP Convention.
- The Culture Collaboratory attends the 2019 SPSP Convention in Portland, OR.
- The Culture Collab welcomes new lab manager, Hannah Ramil.
Talks and Posters:
- Brady, L. M., Kitayama, S., & Chartier, C. (2019, February). The role of (cross)cultural research in robust and replicable psychological science. Roundtable on generalizability & replication.
- Burris, I., Brady, L. M., & Fryberg, S. A. (2019, February). We shall overcome: Finding strength through adversity. Poster session.
- Burris, I., Brady, L. M., Fryberg, S. A. (2019, February). Social class moderates effects of parent growth mindset on children’s academic outcomes. Poster session.
- Dai, D. J., Eason, A., Fryberg, S. A. (2019, February). How stereotypes and invisibility shape bias towards Native Americans. Poster session.
- Dai, D. J. (2019, February). #NotAllWhites: White liberals disidentify from their racial ingroup under group-image threat. Symposium.
- Leong, S., Brady, L. M., & Shoda, Y. (2019, February). Cultural models of family: How race and generation status affect the perceived role of family in college. Poster session.
- Yang, J. Y., Brady, L. M., & Fryberg, S. A. (2019, February). Seize the A: Interdependence explains college students’ perceived parent performance goals. Poster session.
- Dr. Fryberg was selected to deliver the 2019 Samuel E. Kelly Distinguished Faculty Lecture scheduled for the evening of Friday, April 12, 2019.
- The Culture Collab welcomes Julisa Lopez as a first-year graduate student.
- A team of research assistants attends the Depressed Cake Shop Fundraiser Event to support the National Alliance on Mental Illness – Seattle (NAMI).
- Honors student Suyi Leong wins the Mary Gates Research Scholarship for her research on the Cultural Model of Family.
- Honors student Suyi Leong presents at the UW Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Dr. Fryberg & Post Doc Laura Brady win a grant from the National Science Foundation on creating cultural change.
- Graduate students Imani Burris and Doris Dai present at the UW Psychology Research Festival and Social Brown Bag.
- The Culture Collab welcomes new graduate students – Imani Burris and Doris Dai.
- Ph.D. student Imani Burris and Lab Manager Jenny Yang attend the 2017 Mindset Scholars Network Convening.
- The lab organizes its first field trip to the Doctors Without Borders – Forced From Home Exhibition to learn about the migrant crisis.
- Dr. Fryberg & Post Doc Laura Brady win a grant from the Mindset Scholars Network.
- Dr. Fryberg & Ph.D. students Arianne Eason and Adriana Germano win a grant from the Reclaiming Native Truth Project on uncovering biases toward Native Americans.
- Dr. Fryberg delivers talk at SPSP’s Intervention Science pre-conference on our lab’s newly developed cultural interventions.
- Post Doc Laura Brady presents her new research on scaling up cultural interventions at SPSP’s Intervention Science pre-conference.
- Ph.D. student Adriana Germano presents talk, Tailoring Mindset Interventions for First-Generation College Students: A Cultural Fit Approach, in symposium at SPSP.
- The Culture Collab welcomes new Post Doc Laura Brady and new lab manager Jenny Yang.
- Dr. Fryberg delivers talk, Culturally Grounded Interventions to Enhance Academic Performance for Native Students, at the Society for the Psychological Study of Culture, Ethnicity, and Race Research at Stanford University.
- Ph.D. student Laura Brady defends her dissertation, Investigating Social Mobility: Cultural Frames and Cultural Frame Switching in First-Generation College Students. Congratulations Dr. Brady!
- Ph.D. student Adriana Germano delivers talk about her research on culturally tailored growth mindset interventions for first-generation college students at the UW Research Festival.
- Dr. Fryberg teaches seminar on improving education for Native Students at the University of Otago, New Zealand.
- Dr. Fryberg gives an Allen L. Edwards lecture at the University of Washington on Understanding and Legitimizing How Indigenous Children Learn.
- Dr. Fryberg serves on Panel at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism on Native American Stereotypes and Mascots in Sports.
- Dr. Fryberg & Ph.D. student Laura Brady win a grant from The Raikes Foundation for their work titled, Moving Beyond Changing Mindsets: Creating a Culture of Growth in Schools.