History of the Burke-Gilman Trail
The Burke-Gilman Trail is a popular recreational trail with runners, cyclists, walkers, and commuters. Jointly maintained by the Seattle Department of Transportation and Seattle Parks & Recreation, it stretches over 18 miles from Shilshole Bay to the City of Bothell where it intersects with the Sammamish River Trail.
The trail dates back to 1885 when Judge Thomas Burke and Daniel Gilman were among a dozen investors who set out to establish a Seattle-based railroad. Citizens would later recognize the non-motorized transportation potential of the railroad line and launch a movement to create a right-of-way for a public biking and walking trail. The original 12.1 miles of the trail that connected Gas Works Park and the Tracy Owen Station in Kenmore was dedicated on August 19, 1978.
Approximately 1.75 miles of the trail passes through the Seattle campus of the University of Washington, which owns and operates that portion of the trail.
Photo Credit: Celeste Gilman
Courtesy of UW Transportation Services