Michael P. Porter, MD, MS
Department of Urology
Adjunct Associate Professor Department of Epidemiology University of Washington
Dr. Porter is a UW assistant professor of urology and an adjunct assistant professor of epidemiology. His clinical interest is surgical treatment of urinary tract cancer (bladder, prostate and kidney). His research interests include comparative effectiveness research, cost and value research, screening for urologic cancer, epidemiology and outcomes in urologic cancer and rural access to surgical subspecialty care.
He believes in providing high quality, patient-centered care. This involves knowing his patients, respecting their values and preferences and encouraging them to participate in the treatment decision process.
A range of urologic surgery, including cystectomy (surgical removal of the bladder); transurethral resection of bladder tumors; urinary diversion including neobladder construction; open and laparoscopic nephrectomy (surgical removal of the kidney); partial nephrectomy (surgical removal of kidney tumors without removal of the entire kidney); and radical prostatectomy (surgical removal of the prostate). He also has expertise in treating urothelial tumors of the renal pelvis and ureter using minimally invasive techniques. He works closely with oncologists and radiation oncologists to provide a comprehensive approach to treating urinary tract cancer.
He spends his free time with his family. They enjoy biking, hiking, playing baseball and basketball with their two sons and taking road trips around the Northwest. He also enjoys running, golf and music.
Surgical treatment of bladder cancer, the fifth most common cancer in the U.S. He is expert in the surgical removal of the bladder and reconstruction of the urinary tract after the bladder has been removed. He also has expertise in treating prostate and kidney cancer and is proficient in minimally invasive approaches such and laparoscopy and ureteroscopy.
Comparative effectiveness research; cost and value research; screening for urologic cancer; epidemiology and outcomes in urologic cancer; and rural access to surgical subspecialty care.
He enjoys teaching medical students and surgical residents. He serves as a preceptor for two or three medical students annually and gives the annual medical student lecture on diseases of the prostate. He instructs both junior and chief residents in the clinic and operating room and mentors residents on research projects.
Education & Training
|Univ. of Iowa, Medical education, 1997
UW - Dept. of Surgery, Internship
UW - Dept. of Urology, Byron Joyner, MD, Residency
Univ. of Washington, School of Public Health & Community Medicine, Master, 2001
UW- Clinical Scholars Program, Fellowship
|Certification Board Name
|American Board of Urology
Searching for Publications, Please Wait . . .
- Hotaling JM, Wright JL, Pocobelli G, Bhatti P, Porter MP, White E "Long-Term Use of Supplemental Vitamins and Minerals Does Not Reduce the Risk of Urothelial Cell Carcinoma of the Bladder in the VITamins And Lifestyle Study." The Journal of urology 2011 Feb; ; ;
- Porter MP, Gore JL, Wright JL "Hospital volume and 90-day mortality risk after radical cystectomy: a population-based cohort study." World journal of urology 2011 Feb; 29; 1; 73-7
- Porter MP "Editorial comment." The Journal of urology 2010 Mar; 183; 3; 982; discussion 983
- Porter MP "Examining the association between delay in diagnosis and decreased survival in bladder cancer." Cancer 2010 Nov; 116; 22; 5122-5
- Gore JL, Porter MP "Patterns of questionable quality care in nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer." Cancer 2010 Jun; 116; 11; 2508-10
- Morgan TM, Lange PH, Porter MP, Lin DW, Ellis WJ, Gallaher IS, Vessella RL "Disseminated tumor cells in prostate cancer patients after radical prostatectomy and without evidence of disease predicts biochemical recurrence." Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 2009 Jan; 15; 2; 677-83
- Wright JL, Hotaling J, Porter MP "Predictors of upper tract urothelial cell carcinoma after primary bladder cancer: a population based analysis." The Journal of urology 2009 Mar; 181; 3; 1035-9; discussion 1039
- Porter MP, Kerrigan MC, Donato BM, Ramsey SD "Patterns of use of systemic chemotherapy for Medicare beneficiaries with urothelial bladder cancer." Urologic oncology 2009 May; ; ;
- Wright JL, Lin DW, Porter MP "The association between extent of lymphadenectomy and survival among patients with lymph node metastases undergoing radical cystectomy." Cancer 2008 Jun; 112; 11; 2401-8
- Porter MP, Lin DW "Trends in renal cancer surgery and patient provider characteristics associated with partial nephrectomy in the United States." Urologic oncology 2007 Jul-Aug ; 25; 4; 298-302
- Wright JL, Black PC, Brown GA, Porter MP, Kamat AM, Dinney CP, Lin DW "Differences in survival among patients with sarcomatoid carcinoma, carcinosarcoma and urothelial carcinoma of the bladder." The Journal of urology 2007 Dec; 178; 6; 2302-6; discussion 2307
- Walsh TJ, Porter MP "Ureteroscopic treatment of upper-tract urothelial lesions: a novel technique." Journal of endourology / Endourological Society 2007 Jul; 21; 7; 718-20
- Swartz MA, Lydon-Rochelle MT, Simon D, Wright JL, Porter MP "Admission for nephrolithiasis in pregnancy and risk of adverse birth outcomes." Obstetrics and gynecology 2007 May; 109; 5; 1099-104
- Dall'Era MA, True LD, Siegel AF, Porter MP, Sherertz TM, Liu AY "Differential expression of CD10 in prostate cancer and its clinical implication." BMC urology 2007 ; 7; ; 3
- Wright JL, Porter MP "Quality-of-life assessment in patients with bladder cancer." Nature clinical practice. Urology 2007 Mar; 4; 3; 147-54
- Wright JL, Porter MP, Li CI, Lange PH, Lin DW "Differences in survival among patients with urachal and nonurachal adenocarcinomas of the bladder." Cancer 2006 Aug; 107; 4; 721-8
- Walsh TJ, Grady RW, Porter MP, Lin DW, Weiss NS "Incidence of testicular germ cell cancers in U.S. children: SEER program experience 1973 to 2000." Urology 2006 Aug; 68; 2; 402-5; discussion 405
- Porter MP, Stanford JL, Lange PH "The distribution of serum prostate-specific antigen levels among American men: implications for prostate cancer prevalence and screening." The Prostate 2006 Jul; 66; 10; 1044-51
- Yang CC, Porter MP, Penson DF "Comparison of the International Index of Erectile Function erectile domain scores and nocturnal penile tumescence and rigidity measurements: does one predict the other?" BJU international 2006 Jul; 98; 1; 105-9; discussion 109
- Swartz MA, Porter MP, Lin DW, Weiss NS "Incidence of primary urethral carcinoma in the United States." Urology 2006 Dec; 68; 6; 1164-8
- Porter MP, Lange PH "Controversies in the surgical management of renal cancer." Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2005 Jan; 3; 1; 95-102
- Porter MP, Penson DF "Health related quality of life after radical cystectomy and urinary diversion for bladder cancer: a systematic review and critical analysis of the literature." The Journal of urology 2005 Apr; 173; 4; 1318-22
- Porter MP, Faizan MK, Grady RW, Mueller BA "Hypospadias in Washington State: maternal risk factors and prevalence trends." Pediatrics 2005 Apr; 115; 4; e495-9
- Porter MP, Stanford JL "Obesity and the risk of prostate cancer." The Prostate 2005 Mar; 62; 4; 316-21
- Porter MP, Wei JT, Penson DF "Quality of life issues in bladder cancer patients following cystectomy and urinary diversion." The Urologic clinics of North America 2005 May; 32; 2; 207-16
- Porter MP, Voigt LF, Penson DF, Weiss NS "Racial variation in the incidence of squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder in the United States." The Journal of urology 2002 Nov; 168; 5; 1960-3
Awards & Honors