Hunter Wessells, MD
Professor and Chair
Nelson Chair in Urology
University of Washington
School of Medicine
Dr. Wessells is a UW professor and chairman of the Department of Urology. He is a surgeon, researcher and expert on urogenital trauma and erectile dysfunction. His clinical interests include reconstructive surgery of the genitourinary tract, acute injury management and complex surgery for male sexual dysfunction.
Provide state-of-the-art care of complex urogenital disorders.
Sailing, rowing, bicycling, organic gardening, skiing and spending time with his family.
Diabetic erectile dysfunction, male urethral and genital reconstruction and urinary tract trauma.
Urogenital trauma epidemiology and management; the physiology and pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction; reconstructive surgery; crash injury mechanics; and urological complications of diabetes. A proerectile melanocortin agonist developed by Dr. Wessells and his collaborators at the University of Arizona is in clinical trials for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
He currently serves as a permanent member of the UKGD Study Section of the National Institutes of Health, is a member of the Advisory Committee for Urology of the American College of Surgeons and is an ad hoc editorial reviewer for numerous peer reviewed journals.
Dr. Wessells has served on several national and international professional and government committees, including the WHO International Consultations on Erectile and Sexual Dsyfunction, an NIDDK working group on urological complications of diabetes, and a NIH symposium on diabetes.
He has published more than 75 journal articles or book chapters, is the recipient of numerous teaching awards, and has been invited to lecture nationally and internationally on topics related to erectile dysfunction and genitourinary trauma.
Education & Training
|Georgetown University, Medical education, 1988
Univ. of Pennsylvania - Surgery Residencies & Fellowships, Internship
Univ. of Pennsylvania - Surgery Residencies & Fellowships, Residency
Univ. of Pennsylvania - Urology Residencies, Fellowships, & Staff, Residency
Univ. of Calif. San Francisco (Urol), Fellowship
|Certification Board Name
|American Board of Urology
- Saigal CS, Wessells H, Pace J, Schonlau M, Wilt TJ "Predictors and prevalence of erectile dysfunction in a racially diverse population." Archives of internal medicine 2006 Jan; 166; 2; 207-12
- Santucci RA, Wessells H, Bartsch G, Descotes J, Heyns CF, McAninch JW, Nash P, Schmidlin F "Evaluation and management of renal injuries: consensus statement of the renal trauma subcommittee." BJU international 2004 May; 93; 7; 937-54
- Dalkin BL, Wessells H, Cui H "A national survey of urinary and health related quality of life outcomes in men with an artificial urinary sphincter for post-radical prostatectomy incontinence." The Journal of urology 2003 Jan; 169; 1; 237-9
- Young JM, Bennett C, Gilhooly P, Wessells H, Ramos DE "Efficacy and safety of sildenafil citrate (Viagra) in black and Hispanic American men." Urology 2002 Sep; 60; 2 Suppl 2; 39-48
- Yurkanin JP, Dean R, Wessells H "Effect of incision and saphenous vein grafting for Peyronie's disease on penile length and sexual satisfaction." The Journal of urology 2001 Nov; 166; 5; 1769-72; discussion 1772-3
- Debell M, Wessells H "Recurrent bulbar urethral stricture in the region of an artificial urinary sphincter." The Journal of urology 2001 Sep; 166; 3; 1006-7
- Munding MD, Wessells HB, Dalkin BL "Pilot study of changes in stretched penile length 3 months after radical retropubic prostatectomy." Urology 2001 Oct; 58; 4; 567-9
- Levine J, Wessells H "Comparison of open and endoscopic treatment of posttraumatic posterior urethral strictures." World journal of surgery 2001 Dec; 25; 12; 1597-601
- Vo J, Wessells H "Partial penile disassembly and corporeal resection for Peyronie's disease with distal narrowing." The Journal of urology 2000 Aug; 164; 2; 449-50
- Gralnek D, Wessells H, Cui H, Dalkin BL "Differences in sexual function and quality of life after nerve sparing and nonnerve sparing radical retropubic prostatectomy." The Journal of urology 2000 Apr; 163; 4; 1166-9; discussion 1169-70
- Anema JG, Morey AF, McAninch JW, Mario LA, Wessells H "Complications related to the high lithotomy position during urethral reconstruction." The Journal of urology 2000 Aug; 164; 2; 360-3
- Wessells H "Genital skin loss: unified reconstructive approach to a heterogeneous entity." World journal of urology 1999 Apr; 17; 2; 107-14
- Wessells H, McAninch JW "Current controversies in anterior urethral stricture repair: free-graft versus pedicled skin-flap reconstruction." World journal of urology 1998 ; 16; 3; 175-80
- Wessells H, Morey AF, McAninch JW "Obliterative vesicourethral strictures following radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer: reconstructive armamentarium." The Journal of urology 1998 Oct; 160; 4; 1373-5
- Wessells H, Morey AF, McAninch JW "Single stage reconstruction of complex anterior urethral strictures: combined tissue transfer techniques." The Journal of urology 1997 Apr; 157; 4; 1271-4
- Wessells H, Lue TF, McAninch JW "Complications of penile lengthening and augmentation seen at 1 referral center." The Journal of urology 1996 May; 155; 5; 1617-20
- Wessells H, McAninch JW "Use of free grafts in urethral stricture reconstruction." The Journal of urology 1996 Jun; 155; 6; 1912-5
- Wessells H, Lue TF, McAninch JW "Penile length in the flaccid and erect states: guidelines for penile augmentation." The Journal of urology 1996 Sep; 156; 3; 995-7
Awards & Honors
||Joseph P. McCarthy Essay Contest, First Prize, American Urological Association Western Section
||Julian S. Ansell Teaching Award, University of Washington, Department of Urology