Limited Submission Funding Opportunities
The University’s relationship with certain foundations and corporations is coordinated by a limited submission policy (see list below). A limited submission policy is in effect when one or more of the following applies:
- The funding agency or organization accepts only a limited number of proposals, first internally reviewed and prioritized by UW.
- The foundation or corporation only accepts proposals that respond to a specific request for proposals, or at specific times of year, and that are first internally reviewed and prioritized by UW.
Current opportunities that reflect these limiting characteristics are on the Office of Research website. This page also includes a link to archived opportunities. Kim Johnson-Bogart, Senior Director of Advancement for Foundation Relations, serves on the Provost’s Proposal Review Committee to maintain collaboration and coordination with the Office of Research.
A limited submission policy also applies when:
- The significance and complexity of the University’s relationship with the foundation or corporation warrants comprehensive oversight and coordination prior to submitting a request for funding.
- The foundation, corporation, or the University has requested coordination across multiple academic units to stage proposals and encourage interdisciplinary collaboration.
- The foundation or corporation has requested a “central point of contact” and only accepts proposals that have been submitted by the Office of Corporate & Foundation Relations or the Office of Sponsored Programs.
Organizations that do not have limited submission policies generally welcome inquiries at any time.
Limited Submission Foundations and Corporations
Note: This is a working list and is subject to change. Please see Advance for current RM assignments. Thank you!
- Paul G. Allen Family Foundations
Requests for less than $5 million may be submitted directly to the Foundation via on-line letter of inquiry/intent, or LOI. For larger requests, contact Jan Labyak or Joanna Glickler
- Rita Allen Foundation
- Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
- The Boeing Company
Request for proposals, or RFP, distributed in January/February each year
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Charles A. Dana Foundation
- Camille & Henry Dreyfus Foundation
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
- Ellison Medical Foundation
- The Ford Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
No unsolicited proposals accepted, please contact Dondi Cupp for additional information.
- William T. Grant Foundation
- Greenwall Foundation
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- KAUST Global Research Partnership
- WM. Keck Foundation
RFP for off-cycle grant programs in January and July for May 1 and November 1 deadlines. Contact Joanna Glickler for more information.
- Kresge Foundation
Contact Joanna Glickler for more information about institutional prioritization of Kresge requests and LOI process
- Henry Luce Foundation
- Mellon Foundation
- John Merck Fund
RFP for New Faculty Fellowship Program in August — general corporate approaches are not managed by limited submission process
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Unsolicited proposals not accepted; contact Joanna Glickler for more information.
- M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust
RFPs distributed by Office of Research based on status of pending requests. Three requests submitted each year: Main Campus (non-Engineering), Health Sciences, and Engineering. Requests are for equipment only.
- David & Lucile Packard Foundation
- Partnership for Cures
- Pew Charitable Trust
- Pride Foundation
UW limited to one proposal each year with a $5,000 request maximum. Application available on December 1 from Pride web site; contact Joanna Glickler before applying
- Fannie E. Rippel Foundation
- Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
- Searle Foundation
- Seattle Foundation
April — Community Grantmaking Program RFP distributed for outreach programs, three proposals selected for submission, $25K limit for capital needs.
July — Medical Funds RFP distributed for Health Sciences programs, three proposals selected for submission, one addition proposal from Harborview, $50K limit for research equipment.
- Washington Mutual Foundation
- Wells Fargo
RFP distributed in September or October