Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act of 2015
In December 2015, the President signed into law the PATH Act, which makes permanent the direct transfer of funds from an IRA to a qualified charitable organization.
- Donors must be 70 1/2 on the date of the gift
- Funds must be transferred directly to the UW from a traditional or Roth IRA
- Up to $100,000 per donor may be contributed per year
- The donor recognizes no taxable income on the transfer, but cannot claim an income tax deduction for the gift
- The distribution can count toward the mandatory IRA withdrawal amount.
For a letter of instruction or more information, please contact the Office for Planned Giving