Managers – Re: New Hire
Hiring someone new? Please follow these steps in order to make your job, ATS’s jobs, and your new staff person’s job easier! You can start as soon as you know the UW NetID for the new person.
1. Work with F&A to establish the new employee’s UW NetID as soon as possible.
2. As soon as the UW NetID is established, and the location and computer hardware and software needs are known, please submit the New Advancement Staff Form to ATS. Fill this form out for every new person who comes to work in your unit, regardless of whether they are permanent, temporary, intern or student.
3. Once you have completed this form, ATS will communicate with Nebula to create the new staff account according to the values you supplied in the New Advancement Staff Form and will instruct Nebula to phone you with the password for your new staff person.
5. Any new software needed by the employee can be installed prior to his or her arrival, provided we have enough notice. (Use the New Advancement Staff Form linked to above to request it, or at any time after the staff person’s arrival, use the New Software Request.)
New Staff – PC
If you are new to University Advancement, please follow these steps when using your PC for the first time. Click here for a more detailed procedure. (Word)
- Obtain your default Nebula password from your supervisor, or from Nebula Support (1-5000 x2) if your supervisor doesn’t have it.
- Log into your PC with the new account. The first login will take longer than subsequent logins as it is building your profile from scratch.
- Update your Nebula network password. (Ctrl+Alt+Del > Change a Password.)
- Personalize your UW NetID password if you have not yet done so.
Log into MyUW’s account settings: https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage/ > Link to “Change your password.”
We recommend setting your password to be the same as the Nebula password to be easily remembered. (If you will be an Advance user, please choose a password no longer than 12 characters.)
- Initialize MS Office
Open MS Word 2010, correct or accept your name and initials > OK.
You will then be prompted for Automatic Update settings. Select “Do not make changes.” > OK. (Then accept security authorization prompt.) (You may then close Word.)
- Open and configure Outlook.
Your first prompt is “Microsoft Outlook 2010 Startup;” click Next.
Email Accounts: Yes > Next.
Auto Account Setup: Enter your name, email address as email@example.com, and complete your UW NetID password > Next.
Windows Security prompt: Click Use another account > OK.
Enter username “netid\yourid” and your password > OK.
Add New Account: Finish.
- Connect to your printers; refer to the Printing Support page.
- With a workmate or supervisor, review the path to your group’s shared folder within the I:\groups… drive. Become acquainted with your H:\ (“homes”) drive for non-shared file storage. Be aware that you can access them at anytime over the web. Refer to Nebula’s web access page.
- Review the ATS Computer Support pages for Central Units in order to acquaint yourself with computing procedures in your new Advancement unit.
New Staff – Mac
If you are new to University Advancement, please follow these steps when using your computer for the first time. Click here for a more detailed procedure. (Word)
- On any PC in the office, Update your Nebula network password.
Log into a PC with the default password you are given by Nebula or your supervisor.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and choose “Change a password.”
Follow prompts to update your password.
It is advisable to set it to be the same as your UW NetID password to be easily remembered.
Log off the PC.
- On your Mac, there should be a user account for you with a default password set up. If not, please request help from ATS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notify Nebula (email@example.com or 1-5000 x2) that you need to have AdmitMac configured for network drive access. A Nebula technician will schedule an appointment with you to set these up.
- After AdmitMac has been configured, with a workmate or supervisor, review the path to your group’s shared folder within the I:\groups… drive. Become acquainted with your H:\ (“homes”) drive for non-shared file storage.
The Nebula technician will configure these drive mappings when he or she has installed AdmitMac, but you can access them at anytime over the web. Refer to http://www.washington.edu/nebula/webaccess.html.
- If necessary, personalize your UW NetID password at: https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage/
If you will be an Advance user, please choose a password no longer than 12 characters.
- Configure Outlook for your Exchange account. Follow the prompts upon opening Outlook, using your UW NetID username and password.
- Connect to your printers. Refer to the printing support page for the exact procedure.
- For basic information about our computing environment and where to go for help with various computing issues, please review “Computer Support, Central Units” pages.
Managers – Re: Separation
If one of your staff members separates from the University, HR will work with you through many of the steps. In addition, there are some specific computing related steps that ATS would like to help you with. Please use the Staff Separation Form to notify ATS that your staff person is leaving – this will allow us to help you make a better transition for your person who is moving on.
Depending on the email situation that the separating staff member is moving to (Exchange with another department, email with a new employer, forwarding UW email to a private email address) that staff person should follow some steps to make the exit from Advancement Exchange as smooth as possible. Please review these UWIT pages with them:
- Leaving UW Exchange Local (without leaving skid marks)
- Transfer between “UW Deskmail” and “UW Exchange” with Web Alpine