The “H” and “I” Drives
Nebula provides networked file shares for us to store our work. What does that mean for you?
A Note about PC’s and Macs
- PC’s have a built-in facility for mapped drives whereby each networked file sharing location is given a letter.
- Macs are configured by ATS to provide you with the standard selection of mapped server locations.
The H:\ drive, aka your “homes” drive, is a location on the network that only you have access to. Things appropriate to store here are documents that you don’t want to share, or shouldn’t be shared with others. You might store your resume there; if you fill out evaluations for your direct reports, or have other supervisory documents, save them there. Anything else that you wish to keep to yourself should be stored in your homes, or H:\, drive.
The I:\ drive is a big place. Within it, though, is the I:\groups folder. Within “groups” you will find all the unit-based folders. Here are just a few examples.
- I:\groups\ua – shared among all of University Advancement
- I:\groups\UWAA – shared within Alumni & Constituent Relations. Subfolders indicate ownership by different ACR units.
- I:\groups\dar\FINADM – shared within Finance & Administration
- I:\groups\dar\ARRM – shared within Advancement Research & Relationship Management
Talk to your office mates or supervisor and find out which ones your group folder or folders are. This is where you will share your work with your group.
Nebula drives require a Nebula account (or for a few just a UW NetID account) with certain permissions to access various folders. You can be sure that you are only sharing files with the people in your unit, sometimes even a small number in your unit, or Central Advancement.
Nebula folders are available 24 hours a day. You can access them on your work computer, or by using the Web folder access utility called IntegraTUM Web Disk.
Nebula file sharing servers are backed up nightly. They make backed up folders available to us through the “snapshots” folder in I:\snapshots. Access this location and refer to the DAILY, WEEKLY, or MONTHLY backed up folders to find either your homes drive or group drive during the relevant time period.
See also these Relevant Links
- Nebula’s page, Connecting When Out of the Office
- Nebula Filesystem Web Access, aka IntegraTUM Web Disk.