Q: How can I work remotely?
A: In order to work remotely, you will need to connect to Husky OnNet, then connect to your work computer. Please follow the steps below:
- Connect to Husky OnNet
- Connect to your work computer – If your work computer is a PC, click here, and it is a Mac, click here
You can find more information about Husky OnNet here – https://itconnect.uw.edu/connect/uw-networks/about-husky-onnet/.
Note: Starting on May 31, 2016, you will need to connect to Husky OnNet first in order to be able to use Remote Desktop Connection or RealVNC from a Mac. This will replace the older process of setting up the Nebula VPN or NetID VPN.
Setting Up Husky OnNet
Q: How do I set up Husky OnNet?
A: You can set up Husky OnNet on either a Mac or a PC
- Click on this link – https://softy.cac.washington.edu/HuskyOnNet/
- Choose the appropriate download that corresponds to your computer’s platform (Windows or Macintosh) to download and install the software
A step-by-step guide for setting up Husky OnNet is here for your convenience:
Remote Desktop Connection (Connecting to PC’s)
Q: How do I use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a UA PC?
A: There are three requirements that enable use of Remote Desktop Connection.
1. Make sure that you know the name and IP address of the UA PC you wish to connect to. To find the IP Address, go to www.whatismyip.com. The IP Address might change at anytime that you restart your computer, so it’s important to check it before you leave work. To find the computer name, go to Start > Right-click Computer (or “This PC” for Windows 8) > Properties. Make note of the entire name. It will look like this:
The computer name remains constant over time, but sometimes it won’t allow a successful connection so you are better off knowing both pieces of information.
2. Second, make sure your remote computer is running the RDC client.
- Mac – Download and install the Remote Desktop Connection application from Microsoft.
- PC – Find and run Remote Desktop Connection. Click the Start button or press your Windows Key on your Keyboard, then start typing Remote Desktop Connection and choose the desktop application when it shows up.
Remote Access via VNC (Connecting to Macs)
Q: How can I connect to my Mac at work from a remote location?
A: The Enterprise version of RealVNC is provided on UA Macs used as primary workstations. Before leaving work, make sure that your RealVNC application is running to accept a remote connection.
On Your Work Mac
In Chooser, navigate to Applications > RealVNC folder, and double-click the VNC Server program. There should be a green bar indicating it is ready to accept a connection acting as a RealVNC “server.”
There is a message stating “RealVNC Viewer users can connect using the address (and it will look something like this: 126.96.36.199).” Make a note of that IP address as you will need it to connect from the remote computer.
Although IP addresses remain the same as long as the computer is powered on, it is possible for the IP address to change after a restart. If you have restarted your computer since you last checked, please check your IP address before leaving work.
On Your Remote Computer
Install the RealVNC Viewer application that is appropriate for your operating system from here: http://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/
Run the program and enter the IP address from your work computer.
- When leaving your Mac in the office, fully log off (under the “apple” menu) for security.
- For iMacs: You might wish to place a cloth or tape paper over the screen of your Mac in the office, as when you are working remotely everyone will be able to see what you are doing if you leave the screen unprotected.