About the UW Autism Center
The UW Autism Center is a nonprofit organization devoted to supporting
individuals and families affected by autism spectrum disorders through
exceptional clinical services, innovative scientific research and
Our mission is:
* To offer state-of-the-art clinical services to individuals with
ASD from birth through young adulthood, and their families
* To increase community knowledge and service capacity through
public awareness and professional training
* To conduct research to understand what causes ASD, how it
develops, and how it can be treated or prevented.
The UW Autism Center is part of the Center on Human Development and
Disability (CHDD) at the University of Washington and incorporates faculty
and staff from the UW School of Medicine, College of Arts & Sciences, and
College of Education.
The research program at the UW Autism Center collaborates with scientists from a variety of disciplines in an effort to discover the cause of autism and develop effective treatments. Our program is part of a large, national research network and is funded by the National Institutes of Health Autism Centers of Excellence (ACE) program and the Studies to Advance Autism Research and Treatment (STAART) network. Collaboration among scientists is essential as we address the questions confronting individuals, families, and the larger autism community.
Our research efforts are focused on:
- Increasing early diagnosis of autism and related disorders
- Understanding the neurobiological basis of autism
- Understanding brain functioning, language, and cognitive development in autism
- Identifying early biological and behavioral predictors of outcome
- Identifying the genes related to autism
- Developing and assessing behavioral and biological treatments for autism
UW Autism Center has a satellite clinic on the UW Tacoma campus. Through active collaboration with local professionals and parents, the Tacoma site strives to identify and provide clinical services needed in their area and to plan efforts to serve as an autism resource for the broader Washington State community.
For more information about the UW Autism Center, please download a brochure.
Learn More About Us: