Witt Winter Garden
1) Chimonanthus praecox Wintersweet
- Wintersweet is in the allspice family of Calycanthaceae.
- The sulfur-yellow flowers are intensely fragrant and are born on bare stems.
- This winter garden favorite is native to China.
2) Ganya x issaquahensis Hybrid Silktassel
- This natural hybrid, between G. elliptica and G. fremontii, is native to the western U.S.
- The showy male catkins will soon produce large amounts of yellow pollen.
3) Hamamelis x intennedia ‘Pallida’ Hybrid Witch Hazel
- This cultivar produces large, pale-yellow flowers on a horizontal growing form.
- H. x intermedia is a hybrid between H. japonica and H. mollis, both native to Asia.
4) Hamamelis x intermedia ‘Winter Beauty’ Hybrid Witch Hazel
- This cultivar, though of the same parents as ‘Pallida’, has orange flowers on a taller,
more rounded form.
5) Salix irrorata Bluestem Willow
- The shoots of this upright shrub are purple with a distinct white bloom in the winter.
- The catkins are grey when they emerge, turning red and then quickly to yellow.