Our contractor, NW Aquatic Eco-Systems, has scheduled initial spray applications to commence on July 26 and continue through first week of August. There will be a final follow-up application in September.
Postings of project and current spray schedules include:
- Waterfront Activity Center
- UBNA kiosk
- Slough bridge sign in E5 parking lot
- Yesler Swamp Kiosk
- UBNA loop trail, east-end
- All Arboretum boat landings
- Arboretum Waterfront Trail Entrances (Foster Island and old MOHAI )
- D.O.T. park-n-ride lot off of 520 Lake WA Blvd exit ramp
Lysimachia vulgaris, Garden Loosestrife, a non-native wetland species is invasive in this area. State listed as a class B noxious weed, it requires control by the land manager UW Botanic Gardens as mandated by King County Noxious Weed Control Board.
- Approximately 5 miles of shoreline property bordering Union Bay including Foster and Marsh Islands in the Washington Park Arboretum
- An initial and follow up spray application to occur between July 15 and October 1
- Both shoreline and land side application of the herbicide Habitat (imazapyr), a selective broadleaf herbicide.
- Non toxic to fish and their food web.
- No significant risk to birds or mammals
For more information about this project, please call 206-897-1642 or 206-543-8800.