Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a comprehensive, principle-driven treatment that requires clinicians to learn and apply a large number of strategies and protocols. Some strategies are needed in all sessions, whereas other strategies and protocols are context-dependent. Effective treatment delivery requires the clinician to know which strategies are needed or most effective given the specific characteristics of the situation and the client. In this workshop, we will review the major therapeutic strategies used in DBT that are taken into account when evaluating the degree to which therapists deliver DBT with adherence to the treatment manual. Emphasis will be placed on clarifying when and how to apply these strategies to improve adherence and competence during individual and group DBT sessions with adults and adolescents. Instructors will use lecture, live demonstrations, and extensive video review of individual and group DBT sessions to provide examples of adherent versus non-adherent application of DBT. Participants will also have multiple opportunities for hands-on practice and feedback throughout the workshop. This training assumes participants have general and applied knowledge of DBT treatment strategies and will not include a basic review of DBT. This training will be particularly valuable to clinicians planning to pursue certification in DBT, as it will provide information directly relevant to the practice of adherent DBT.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is intended for mental health professionals who:
- Have previously been trained in DBT (ideally the equivalent of a DBT Intensive or Foundational training)
- Are active members of DBT consultation teams
- Are currently providing DBT individual therapy and/or DBT group skills training
- Want to advance their ability to provide DBT at the level of adherence
As a result of this training, I will be able to:
- Understand the major therapeutic strategies that are required to deliver adherent DBT.
- Review common adherence problems that occur in individual and group DBT sessions.
- Identify adherent and non-adherent application of key DBT strategies
- Learn strategies for improving adherence and competence in DBT.
Note: Participants will not receive training in how to code DBT sessions for adherence, nor will they receive copies of the DBT adherence coding measure.
There is a $50.00 fee for each applicant. Application fees are non-refundable and are not a credit towards tuition.
Applications are due by August 11, 2017.
Application period has closed.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance by August 18, 2017.
Tuition is $1,200 per participant and includes:
- 3 days of workshop training
- 17.25 hours of CE/CME credits
- Copies of the training handouts
Full payment is due within 7 business day of notification of acceptance. If payment is not received within 7 business days of acceptance, we reserve the right to offer the space to another participant. We accept MasterCard, and Visa, Discover and American Express via PayPal. (Applicants do not need to register with PayPal in order to pay with credit cards.) All payments must be in U.S. funds.
Cancellation, Substitutions, and Refunds
Tuition fees, minus a $50 service charge, will be refunded to participants who send a written cancellation to email@example.com or to UW BRTC, 3935 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98195 postmarked by August 25, 2017. No refunds will be made thereafter. A colleague meeting all prerequisites may be substituted for no extra charge if we are notified at least two business days before the training.
Mary Gates Hall, Room 231
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
UW campus map: http://www.washington.edu/maps/#!/mgh
The closest parking lot to the training venues is the UW Central Plaza Parking Garage and the gatehouse is located on 15th Avenue NE and NE 41st Street. Parking costs $15/day on Friday, $10/day on Saturday, and free on Sunday. On Sunday, guests can park in any non-restricted lot on campus, including the Central Plaza Parking Garage (Levels 2-6). Parking may be paid with cash or a Visa/MasterCard.
Upon arrival to campus, please stop at the campus gatehouse and inform the Parking Specialist that you are attending the “DBT Adherence Training” at Mary Gates Hall. After payment, a parking permit showing your designated parking lot will be printed and given to you to display on your vehicles dashboard as instructed.
If you need disability parking, please advise the Parking Specialist.
The following hotels are located in the University District of Seattle and are within walking distance of the training venue.
- University Inn (4140 Roosevelt Way NE): universityinnseattle.com. For reservations, call 866-866-7977. To get university-contract rate via online reservations, please type UNIVERSITY in the Promo Code Window.
- Watertown Hotel (4242 Roosevelt Way NE): watertownseattle.com. For reservations, call 866-866-7977. To get university-contract rate via online reservations, please type UNIVERSITY in the Promo Code Window.
- Hotel Deca (4507 Brooklyn Ave. NE): hoteldeca.com. For reservations, call 800-899-0251.
- College Inn (4000 University Way NE): collegeinnseattle.com. For reservations, call 206-633-4441. Please note that this is a European style hotel with shared bathrooms. It is a good option for inexpensive lodging and includes breakfast.
Many additional hotels can be found in other areas of Seattle, but would require transportation (taxi, bus, or car) to get to the University of Washington campus.
Continuing education credits will be provided through Behavioral Tech, LLC as part of the tuition fee. This training meets the requirements for 17.25 hours of continuing education. Licensing and continuing education requirements vary by state. Please contact your state’s regulatory authority to verify if this course meets your licensing or continuing education requirements. Please read the Continuing Education Credit Information sheet for additional details.
If you require special accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org at least six weeks prior to the event so we may provide you with appropriate service.
Policies and Restrictions
The use of audio or video taping devices is not permitted at any training. We reserve the right to cancel the training or to change the speakers at our sole discretion.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.