A New Dawn for Solar Energy Lecture & Webcast
Meeting the demand for clean, low-cost energy in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way is one of the defining issues of our time. Solar power can be a big part of the solution; however, ensuring it is affordable and scalable requires significant scientific and engineering breakthroughs.
You are invited to join Ana Mari Cauce, Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, and Matt O’Donnell, Frank & Julie Jungers Dean of the College of Engineering, as they present: A New Dawn for Solar Energy. This lecture will examine the dilemma, explore the potential of solar energy and share how UW researchers are combining basic scientific research in chemistry and physics with the powerful tools of molecular engineering, advanced materials and device design to meet this monumental challenge.
The A New Dawn for Solar Energy presentation will be followed by a panel discussion with:
- Lisa Graumlich, dean of the College of the Environment
- Rick LeFaivre, OVP Ventures partner and director of the UW Center for Commercialization New Ventures
- Denis Hayes, Bullitt Foundation president & CEO
- Susannah Malarkey, Technology Alliance executive director
- Jack Faris, Pacific Northwest Diabetes Research Institute CEO (moderator)
The live webcast streamed on UWTV.org on Tues, April 12, 2011.