"The opening of this new incubator signals our commitment to strengthening entrepreneurship at the UW. We’ve been providing the mentorship and are now going the next step in providing the space for faculty and students to work alongside highly successful and experienced Washington entrepreneurs on UW spin-outs."Michael Young
University of Washington President
New Ventures Facility
The UW C4C New Ventures Facility at Fluke Hall is a business incubator that will provide UW start-ups access to critical lab and office space on the UW campus. The facility is one key element in a larger commercialization initiative that will double the number of start-ups produced by the UW over the next three years.
The UW is dedicated to maximizing its contribution to the Washington state economy by spinning out innovations in life sciences, clean technology, alternative energy and information technology. The new facility will play an important role in increasing the quantity and quality of Washington technology companies by priming some of the most promising UW early-state start-ups for outside investment and success.
The new incubator joins the ranks of technology start-up incubators at peer research institution, including MIT, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, UC San Diego, and the University of Utah.
Support for UW Start-ups
The New Ventures Facility supports UW-affiliated start-up companies through their early stages of company and product development by:
- Providing dedicated space and facilities for translational research and for early-stage business development of technologies en route to commercialization.
- Facilitating greater interaction between start-up product development teams and the UW faculty and graduate students who originally conceived the core technologies or concepts, and making it easier for UW researchers to participate in UW start-ups.
- Creating an environment where UW start-ups can work alongside other entrepreneurial teams and solve common business challenges.
- Reducing costs and distractions to help a new venture advance by providing space inclusive of Internet access, and shared office equipment and meeting space.
- Offering educational, business development, and training events for UW start-ups.
- Hosting CEO Roundtables and networking events.
The C4C New Ventures Facility will initially host up to 15 companies, with space for 25 companies when the renovations is completed. The completed space will offer 11,500 square feet of new wet lab suites and 11,500 square feet of office space. See more of the C4C New Ventures Facility Building Specs here.Photos from the C4C New Ventures Facility opening on Feb 8, 2012: