American Indian/Alaska Native Publications in Refereed Journals
1. Roubideaux YD, Moore K, Avery C, Muneta B, Knight M, Buchwald D. Diabetes education materials: recommendations of tribal leaders, Indian health professionals, and American Indian community members. Diab Educ. 2000;26:290-294.
2. Buchwald D,Sheffield J, Furman R, Hartman S, Dudden M, Manson S. Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination among Native American elders in a primary care practice. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:1443-1448.
3. Buchwald D, Beals J, Manson SM. Use of traditional health practices among Native Americans in a primary care setting. Med Care. 2000;38:1191-1199.
4. Buchwald D, Tomita S, Hartman S, Furman R, Dudden M, Manson SM. Physical abuse of urban Native Americans. J Gen Intern Med. 2000;15:562-564.
5. Buchwald D, Furman R, Ashton S, Manson S. Preventive care of older urban American Indians and Alaska Natives in primary care. J Gen Intern Med. 2001;16:257-261.
6. Shore J, Manson SM, Buchwald D. Screening for alcohol abuse among urban Native Americans in a primary care setting. Psychiatr Serv. 2002;53:757-760.
7. Rhoades DA, Buchwald D. Hypertension in older urban Native-American primary care patients. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003;51:774-781.
8. Beals J, Spicer P, Mitchell CM, Novins DK, Manson SM, Big Crow CK, Buchwald D, et al.; AI-SUPERPFP Team. Racial disparities in alcohol use: comparison of 2 American Indian reservation populations with national data. Am J Public Health. 2003;93:1683-1685.
9. Roubideaux Y, Buchwald D, Beals J, Middlebrook D, Manson S, Muneta B, Rith-Najarian S, Shields R, Acton K. Measuring the quality of diabetes care for older AmericanIndians and Alaska Natives. Am J Pub Health. 2004;94:60-65.
10. Libby AM, Orton HD, Novins DK, Spicer P, Buchwald D, Beals J, Manson SM; AI-SUPERPFP Team. Childhood physical and sexual abuse and subsequent alcohol and drug use disorders in two American-Indian tribes. J Stud Alcohol. 2004;65:74-83.
11. Henderson PN, Rhoades D, Henderson JA, Welty TK, Buchwald D. Smoking cessation and its determinants among older American Indians: the Strong Heart Study. Ethn Dis. 2004;14:274-279.
12. Moss MP, Roubideaux YD, Jacobsen C, Buchwald D, Manson S. Functional disability and associated factors among older Zuni Indians. J Cross Cult Gerontol. 2004;19:1-12.
13. Bryant A Jr., Goins RT, Bell R, Herrell R, Manson SM, Buchwald D. Health differences among Lumbee Indians using public and private sources of care. J Rural Health. 2004;20:231-236.
14. Rhoades DA, Roubideaux Y, Buchwald D. Diabetes care among older urban American Indians and Alaska Natives. Ethn Dis. 2004;14:574-579.
15. Beals J Novins DK, Spicer P, Orton HD, Mitchell CM, Baron AE, Manson SM, Big Crow CK, Buchwald D, et al.; AI-SUPERPFP Team. Challenges in operationalizing the DSM-IV clinical significance criterion. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004;61:1197-1207.
16. Buchwald D, Goldberg J, Noonan C, Beals J, Manson S; AI-SUPERPFP Team. Relationship between post-traumatic stress disorder and pain in two American Indian tribes. Pain Med. 2005;6:72-79.
17. Alvord LA, Rhoades D, Henderson WG, Goldberg JH, Hur K, Khuri SF, Buchwald D. Surgical morbidity and mortality among American Indian and Alaska Native Veterans: a comparative analysis. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;200:837-844.
18. Rhoades DA, Manson SM, Noonan C, Buchwald D. Characteristics associated with reservation travel among urban Native American outpatients. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2005;16:464-474.
19. Sawchuk CN, Roy-Byrne P, Goldberg J, Manson S, Noonan C, Beals J, Buchwald D. The relationship between post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and cardiovascular disease in an American Indian tribe. Psychol Med. 2005;35:1785-1794.
20. Garroutte EM, Sarkisian N, Arguelles L, Goldberg J, Buchwald D. Cultural identities and perceptions of health among health care providers and older American Indians. J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21:111-116.
21. O'Connell J, Novins DK, Beals J, Croy C, Baron AE, Spicer P, Buchwald D; AI-SUPERPFP Team. The relationship between patterns of alcohol use and mental and physical health disorders in two American Indian populations. Addiction. 2006;101:69-83.
22. Beals J, Welty TK, Mitchell CM, Rhoades DA, Yeh JL, Henderson JA, Manson SM, Buchwald DS. Different factor loadings for SF36: the Strong Heart Study and the National Survey of Functional Health Status. J Clin Epidemiol. 2006;59:208-215.
23. Shore JH, Beals J, Orton H, Buchwald D;AI-SUPERPFP Team. Comorbidity of alcohol abuse and dependence with medical conditions in 2 American Indian reservation communities. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2006;30:649-655.
24. Garroutte EM, Kunovich RM, Buchwald D, Goldberg J. Medical communication in older American Indian patients: variations by ethnic identity. J Appl Gerontol. 2006 Suppl 1; 25:27S-43S.
25. Henderson JA, Buchwald D, Manson SM. Relationship of medication use to health-related quality of life among a group of older American Indians. J Appl Gerontol. 2006 Suppl 1;25:89S-104S.
26. Wampler NS, Ryschon T, Manson SM, Buchwald D. Knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs regarding breast cancer among American Indian women from the Northern Plains. J Appl Gerontol. 2006 Suppl 1;25:44S-59S.
27. Manson SM, Goins RT, Buchwald DS. The Native Investigator Development Program: increasing the presence of American Indian and Alaska Native scientists in aging-related research. J Appl Gerontol. 2006 Suppl 1;25:105S-130S.
28. Goins RT, John R, Hennessy CH, Denny CH, Buchwald D. Determinants of health-related quality of life among older American Indians and Alaska Natives. J Appl Gerontol.2006 Suppl 1;25:73S-88S.
29. Buchwald D, Mendoza-Jenkins V, Croy C, McGough H, Bezdek M, Spicer P. Attitudes of urban American Indians and Alaska Natives regarding participation in research. J Gen Intern Med.2006;21:648-651.
30. Duffy D, Goldberg J, Buchwald D. Using mail to reach patients seen at an urban health care facility. J Health Care Poor Underserved.2006;17:522-531.
31. Johansson P, Jacobsen C, Buchwald D. Perceived discrimination in health care among American Indians/Alaska Natives. Ethn Dis. 2006;16:766-771.
32. Noe TD, Manson SM, Croy C, McGough H, Henderson JA, Buchwald D. The influence of community-based participatory research principles on the likelihood of participation in health research in American Indian communities. Ethn Dis. 2007 Suppl 1;17:6S-14S.
33. Goins RT, Moss MP, Buchwald D, Guralnik J. Disability among older American Indians and Alaska Natives: an analysis of the 2000 Census Public Use Microdata Sample. Gerontologist. 2007;47:690-696.
34. Manson SM, Buchwald DS. Enhancing American Indian and Alaska Native health research: a multi-faceted challenge. J Interprof Care. 2007 Suppl 2;21:31-39.
35. Libby AM, Orton HD, Beals J, Buchwald D, Manson SM. Childhood abuse and later parenting in two American Indian tribes. Child Abuse Negl. (in press).
36. LaVallie DL, Wolf FM, Jacobsen C, Buchwald D. Barriers to cancer clinical trials participation among Native elders. Ethn Dis. (in press).
37. Sawchuk CN, Buchwald D. Chronic fatigue syndrome. BMJ, Point of Care Series. (in press).
38. Muus KJ, Baker-Demaray T, McDonald LR, Ludtke RL, Allery AJ, Bogart A, Goldberg J, Ramsey SD, Buchwald DS. Body mass index and cancer screening in older American Indian and Alaska Native men. J Rural Health. 2009;25:104-108. PMID: 19166569
39. Laudenslager ML, Noonan C, Jacobsen C, Goldberg J, Buchwald D, Bremner JD, Vaccarino V, Manson SM. Salivary cortisol among American Indians with and without posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD): gender and alcohol influences. Brain Behav Immun. 2009;23:658-662. PMCID: PMC2711684
40. Alvord LA, Henderson WG, Benton K, Buchwald D. Surgical outcomes in American Indian veterans: a closer look. J Am Coll Surg. 2009;208:1085-1092. PMID: 19476896
41. Henderson PN, Kanekar S, Wen Y, Buchwald D, Goldberg J, Choi W, Okuyemi K, Ahluwalia J, Henderson JA. Patterns of cigarette smoking initiation in two culturally distinct American Indian tribes. Am J Pub Health. 2009;99:2020-2025. PMID: 19820215
42. Duncan GE, Goldberg J, Buchwald D, Henderson JA. Epidemiology of physical activity in American Indians in the Education and Research Towards Health (EARTH) Cohort. Am J Prev Med. 2009;37:488-494. PMCID: PMC2803048
43. Ramsey SD, Zeliadt SB, Blough DK, Lopez K, Buchwald D. Cancer care of American Indians and Alaska Natives and other racial groups enrolled in public and private insurance plans. Poverty and Public Policy. 2010;2(1):17-35. PMID Not available
44. Sawchuk CN, Roy-Byrne P, Noonan CJ, Goldberg J, Buchwald D, Manson SM; AI SUPERPFP Team. Panic attacks and panic disorder in the American Indian community. J Anxiety Disord. 2010; (in press).
45. Gonzales AA, Henderson JA, Garroutte E, Bogart A, Buchwald D. Influence of cultural factors on mammography use among American Indian women. Prev Med. 2010 (in press).
46. Fesinmeyer M, Goulart B, Blough D, Buchwald D, Ramsey S. Lung cancer histology, stage, treatment, and survival in American Indians and Alaska Natives and whites. Cancer. 2010 (in press).
47. Sprague D, Bogart A, Manson S, Buchwald D, Goldberg J, AI-SUPERPFP Team. The relationship between post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and lung disorders in Northern Plains and Southwest American Indians. Ethn Health. 2010 (in press).
48. Doorenbos A, Eaton L, Haozous E, Towle C, Ravels L, Buchwald D. Satisfaction with Telehealth for Cancer Support Groups in Rural American Indian/Alaska Native Communities. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2010 (in press).