In the News
Support the Oso Mudslide Relief Effort
You can support the disaster relief effort by making a donation to any of the following charitable nonprofits:
- American Red Cross Disaster Relief (designate Snohomish County Mudslide Relief), charity code 1468727
- Catholic Community Services of Western Washington (designated Mudslide Relief), charity code 1478521
- Hope Unlimited, charity code 1481476
- Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue Unit, charity code 0456977
- The Soup Ladies,1481469
- United Way of Snohomish County (designate Mudslide Relief), charity code 0316733
- Washington State Department of Transportation Memorial Foundation, charity code 1480378
Employee Engagement at its Best
The Center for Commercialization (C4C) team aces it for community engagement. In recent years, employees have exhibited a motivating spirit in their quest to help local and global nonprofits. The way they commit is through near-unanimous involvement with the UW Combined Fund Drive.
In fact, C4C has the highest participation among similar sized departments (over 50 employees). An amazing 93% of their team participated in this year’s campaign. What an outstanding measure of employee generosity!
That 93% is a UW record. Not only that, C4C has achieved the highest participation rate for the third year in a row.
Naturally, C4C is innovative in its approach to encourage employee giving. For starters, C4C leader Linden Rhoads created a matching gift program. Then, they hosted a breakfast inviting staff members to give two-minute, venture capitalist-style pitches on the merits of donating to their favorite charity. About a quarter of the team spoke in support of various efforts this year. These included organizations providing disaster relief and those fighting poverty, helping the homeless, and ensuring that high school kids find tutors.
Northwest Harvest, World Vision, and Doctors Without Borders were the team’s top three choices. These groups will benefit from C4C’s creative fundraising, led by UWCFD campaign
coordinator, Hope Friedlander, which came to $12,334.
The C4C team is a shining example of true employee engagement. The rest of us have a north star to reach for during the 2014 UW Combined Fund Drive!
Join your colleagues and give today | You are changing the world