Digital Media Student Assistant
Husky Jobs Requisition # 78746
The Simpson Center is looking for a part-time digital media student assistant to develop and produce multimedia projects for the Center’s online communications platforms. This position works on an hourly basis, and requires attendance at select Simpson Center events, most of which take place on campus in the afternoon and evenings during the school week. Hourly compensation is $15/hour. Hours per week may vary based on project needs, but will not exceed 18 hours/week. Hours are negotiated on a quarterly basis depending on the Student Assistant’s class schedule and the Simpson Center’s needs.
Preference will be given to students with experience in video production, photography, digital communications, and/or related coursework. Candidates will need to provide their own equipment (ie: DSLR and editing software). The Simpson Center will cover the cost of supplies related to work, such as CDs/DVDs. Some software may be available for use at the Center.
This position reports to the Center’s Communications Specialist.
*Please note: This position will have very limited hours for training during Spring Quarter 2014. The student will work independently starting Fall Quarter 2014 with a steady working schedule.
Description of work:
• Shoot and edit digital videos, such as graduate student profiles, faculty interviews, and short features on Center-funded research and programs for circulation on the Center’s website (www.simpsoncenter.org), e-newsletters, and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo)
--Assist Communications Specialist with planning, storyboarding, and scripting
--Identifying clips and B-roll for final product, as needed
--Identifying additional equipment needs (ie: mics, lighting), and working with Communications Specialist to make arrangements
• Shoot and edit digital photographs at Center events, as needed, with immediate turnaround for Center use
• Assist with preparing audio/podcast files for Center website
• Must be a student enrolled at the UW Seattle campus and taking at least 6 credits
• Video and editing skills with Audacity and Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro
• Familiarity with internet video streaming formats and uploading (YouTube, Vimeo, Vine, etc.)
• Experience with Adobe Photoshop
• Demonstrated ability to take well-composed digital photographs, especially photographs of people
• Ability to independently plan and organize a work schedule
• Ability to set and meet deadlines
• Work-Study Eligible
• Interest in the humanities and the mission of the Simpson Center
To apply please email your résumé, a brief cover letter outlining your experience and interest in the position, and 2-3 samples of your work (links are preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Address cover letters to Chelsea Yates, Communications Specialist.