Colloquia and Conferences
Applications accepted for Fall and Spring Funding
Description of Category/ Purpose of the Award:
Funding supports crossdisciplinary and interdisciplinary symposia, colloquia, and conferences of various scales (working conferences, international research conferences, etc.). Topics should be of interest to scholars across two or more disciplines.
Proposals requesting support for a meeting of a regional, national, or international scholarly association at the University of Washington will be considered but are not a first priority for funding.
Defining or Preferred Criteria:
Interdepartmental organization and support encouraged. Incorporation of a humanities seminar or course—in particular at the graduate level—to precede or coincide with conferences or colloquia is also valued.
Terms of the Award:
Awards of financial and administrative support vary according to requests and needs. Typically requests and awards range between $6,000 and $12,000.
Note: Those applying for conference funding should consult with the Simpson Center’s Associate Director at least 4 weeks in advance of the application deadline. Call 543-3920 to schedule an appointment.
- Proposal Narratives (limit 8 pages) should address:
- the significance of the subject of the conference or colloquium series,
- the activities to be funded (including when and where they will take place),
- participating persons or organizations (if professional organizations or other units are involved, specify the administrative support they will provide),
- audience and promotion/outreach plans,
- anticipated results (e.g., publication)
- Budget should detail anticipated expenses. (e.g. stipends or honoraria, travel, accommodations, promotional materials, postage, hospitality, and facilities rentals) as applicable, as well as other confirmed and anticipated sources of support.
- CV. Include organizer(s) curriculum vita(e). Limit 5 pages per organizer.
Learn more about Colloquia and Conferences.