Ubuntu+LKB (née Knoppix+LKB)
28-FEB-2014: Released version 18 in both 64-bit and 32-bit versions. This version adds Python 3.3, upgrades Subversion to version 1.8, and is based on Xubuntu 12 LTS ("Precise Pangolin"). The default memory allocation has been increased to 1 GB for the 64-bit version, and both versions now have more free space available on their disk images.
05-FEB-2014: Uploaded a 32-bit version of version 17, named 17-m32, for those who have trouble running the 64-bit version. Also, we've found that the 64-bit version needs its memory allocation bumped up to 1 GB for stability, so please make that change if you're currently using that version.
13-APR-2013: Version 17 released. Ubuntu+LKB now requires an x86 CPU with 64-bit extensions (so-called amd64, Intel 64, or EM64T capabilities), which is true of most hardware made in the last several years. This was done in order to include ACE
, the Answer Constraint Engine. English Resource Grammar version 1212 in the format required by ACE has also been added.
Ubuntu+LKB is a VirtualBox appliance based on Ubuntu Linux, intended to make it possible for Linguistics students and researchers to run LKB
without having to perform a Linux installation or dual-boot their systems. It grew out of Knoppix+LKB, which was a bootable LiveCD with the same purpose.
Please send comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's on it?
To run Ubuntu+LKB 17 and later under VirtualBox, you will also need:
- A 64-bit CPU (amd64, Intel 64, or EM64T) -- this includes recent Xeons and all Core 2 and higher processors.
- At least 512 MB of RAM over and above what your OS requires.
- Approximately 5.8 GB of available disk space. (1.8 GB of this is for the installation files, which can be deleted after installation)
If you need a less resource-intensive solution, the older Knoppix-based versions are still available from the download site. They require only 32-bit CPU and 512 megabytes of RAM, plus 750 megabytes of free disk space if you choose to run under VirtualBox.
Setting up Ubuntu+LKB
If you're in a hurry and know what you're doing, you can go straight to the download directory
These are rather large files; if your connection is slow or unreliable you may want to use a download manager
Running in VirtualBox
Click here for setup instructions
Linux taskbar not showing up at bottom of display:
This happens sometimes in VirtualBox. Resize the VirtualBox window slightly and the taskbar should appear.
Writing to a shared folder gives "permission denied" in Windows 7:
Right-click the folder you're sharing (in Windows, not in VirtualBox
) and make sure "Read only" isn't checked. Also note that it appears some folders cannot be successfully shared -- e.g. "Desktop."
The default password is "ubuntu"
- Because of a conflict between SCIM and [incr_tsdb()], input method switching does not work inside the itsdb podium.
- The clock is wrong. Even if it looks right, it's probably wrong. See ticket #14 for the hairy details.
- Font sizes in Emacs and the incr_tsdb podium change dramatically when they are launched after the VirtualBox window is resized. See ticket #19.