It is helpful to clarify
- Project goals
With respect to copyright, it is necessary to determine who will
be developing the new content for the project and ensure that the
rights to that new content are consolidated with the party who will
control how the work may be used.
Identify the Author(s)
It is helpful to answer the following questions at the beginning
of a project:
- Who will author any part of the work?
- If students, will the students be hired specifically to do this work?
- If staff, is this task within their normal job duties?
- If faculty, are the contributions directed or compensated by others?
- Do all participants intend to form a single, merged work?
- Will developers be using materials they have already created for another project?
If this is a University-owned or University-sponsored work, rights
will be consolidated with the University.
A participation agreement as provided by UW TechTransfer Digital Ventures or
other document explaining the special circumstances of the project should be
implemented at the beginning of the project so that everyone understands their
rights and responsibilities.