Return to Payroll Information
Employees may complete and update their W-4 form online.
- Go to ESS (Employee Self-Service) . ** You must have a UWNetID.
- Go to the Taxes section of ESS to find the W-4 link.
- Select either Add W-4 or Update W-4 and complete the form.
If You Are Unable to Access Employee Self-Service or are a Non-Resident Alien
Instructions for completing the W-4 Form
Complete the paper W-4 form
- All boxes must be filled in.
- 1-3 must be completed.
- 4,5,6, and 7 as applicable.
(However, you cannot fill in both 5 & 7.)
- If you claim exempt, you must refile every year.
- Deadline is indicated on the W-4 form.
- Please note: If the form is not correctly completed, your status will be defaulted until it is correctly completed and returned to the Payroll Office. Refunds are not issued.
- Check your paycheck stub or advice slip to ensure that the rate has been entered correctly.
- If at any time you would like to make changes, update it on ESS or turn in a new W-4 form and return it to the Payroll Office. This will supercede your previous W-4 form.
- If you are a Non-resident Alien, please refer to the special rules section on completing the W-4 form.
Payroll Office Procedure:
- If you send another W-4 form, the most recent form will supercede the old information.