Welcome to Disability Resources for Students (DRS), Seattle campus, a unit within the Division of Student Life. The DRS office has been dedicated to ensuring the access and inclusion of students with disabilities on the Seattle campus enrolled in our undergraduate, graduate, professional, Evening Degree and Access programs for over 30 years. Currently, approximately 1,000 students with either temporary or permanent physical, health, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities partner with our office to establish services for their access and inclusion on our campus.
Embedded in the core values of the University of Washington is a commitment to ensuring access to a quality higher education experience for a diverse student population. Disability Resources for Students (DRS) recognizes disability as an aspect of diversity that is integral to society and to our campus community. DRS serves as a partner in fostering an inclusive and equitable environment for all University of Washington students.
The core functions of the DRS office
- Partner with students with disabilities to establish services for their access and inclusion on campus
- Manage, coordinate, implement and evaluate accommodation/service programs
- Serve as a resource to students/faculty/staff to ensure effective provision of services
- Provide educational and resource support to the campus community to increase awareness regarding how to create and sustain access and inclusion for students with disabilities in all aspects of the university
- Provide resource and referral information to the campus community and prospective student and their families
DRS works with each student individually to establish academic adjustments and auxiliary aids and services, more frequently referred to as academic accommodations for the purpose of eliminating the environmental barriers impacting the student’s equitable access to the campus facilities, programs and activities. To find out more information about how to establish services with DRS, please reference our Getting Started section.