Hepatitis C Protocol for Needle Stick Injury in Health Care Workers
- Check source patient for HCV antibody. If positive for HCV antibody then get HCV RNA PCR.
- For Health Care Worker stuck with PCR(+) patient:
- Check HCW for HCV antibody (if positive they've been exposed somewhere else).
- HCV antibody, HCV RNA and aminotransferases measured at 6 weeks, 3 and 6 months.
- If HCV RNA positive, repeat 1 week later, followed by monthly if still positive x 6 months.
- For Health Care Worker stuck by Antibody(+)/PCR(-) patient:
- Check HCV antibody at 3 and six months in HCW.
- If PCR not obtained on source patient:
- HCW should be followed as though needle stick was a high risk.
UWMC April 6, 2000
©Copyright 2000 University of Washington. All rights reserved