Peer Mentor Spotlight

Ben Phillips

Ben Phillips in Sierra Leone
Ben Phillips
Sierra Leone, Summer 2011

Ben Phillips, a senior in Political Science and Drama: Performance, has done it all. No, really. Ben has made fantastic use of his time at the University of Washington, pursuing his passions and challenging himself to try new things. An active member in many communities, Ben has successfully found a way to incorporate his personal interests with his academic scholarship. He can be found showing our campus to visitors as a UW Tour Guide; teaching incoming freshmen as an Honors 100 Peer Educator; and acting as Executive Director of the Undergraduate Theater Society -- and no matter what, he has a smile on his face. Ben finds a natural home in Honors because he sees it at a community that is focused on a love of learning, a curiosity about the world, and a desire to have an impact.

A highlight of Ben’s time at UW was an Exploration Seminar to Sierra Leone. He says "The Honors Sierra Leone trip was truly a transformational experience. It challenged me to reexamine my conceptions of the world, my place in it, and how I might contribute to it."

His advice for students at the UW? "Engage with people who share your interests and passions. Engage with people who don't. Work hard, play hard, and make use of all the coffee shops!"

A unit within Undergraduate Academic Affairs
211 Mary Gates Hall : Box 352800 : Seattle, WA 98195-2800
206.543.7444 : 206.543.6469 FAX
uwhonors@uw.edu
Creative Commons License Unless otherwise noted, all public content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License