The Honors Program is pleased to make available a direct exchange with the Universidad de San Andrés in Buenos Aires, Argentina. UW students will take regular courses across the curriculum (taught in Spanish) with Argentinean students. Students must prove intermediate level Spanish proficiency having studied Spanish a minimum of three years.
About Buenos Aires and the Universidad de San Andrés
The university serves as a gateway to the rich and vibrant cultural life of Buenos Aires, the "Paris of South America." Through museum visits and other activities, the program integrates the spirit of the city and unique academic experiences. The university arranges for students to live with Argentinean families in a secure, supportive environment.
Universidad de San Andrés (UdeSA) is a small private liberal arts university that operates at a high international academic standard. It has recently been recognized through the awarding of a generous grant through 100,000 Strong in the Americas, which aims to expand study abroad in the western hemisphere. The modern campus is located along the beautiful Rio de la Plata in the Buenos Aires suburb of Victoria. Trains run frequently from the campus to the city center. For more information about the university visit their website at www.udesa.edu.ar.
About UW Honors - For Inbound San Andrés Students
The University of Washington Honors Program brings selected faculty into close contact with dedicated students in the atmosphere of small, challenging classes, combining the intimacy and a sense of community of a small, liberal arts college with the strengths of an excellent public research university. The Honors Program offers intellectual and cultural diversity, and world-class faculty and facilities. Honors exchange programs are best suited for students with strong English proficiency.
Students will be exempted from paying UW tuition and fees, but are responsible for covering the cost of tuition at their home institution
Exchange students are eligible to live in university residence halls. Housing costs are the responsibility of the student. For more information visit the UW’s Study Abroad site.
For Inbound International Students
- Complete and submit the online application form for inbound students: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/uwhonors/200679
Create a PDF of your email confirmation and assemble together with the following items to complete your digital application packet:
- A. Transcripts of all college work through the most recent quarter (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- B. Proof of language proficiency (students must pass required TOEL test or provide proof of college level proficiency in English)
- C. Current resumé (maximum one page)
- D. Two letters of recommendation emailed directly to Dr. Julie Villegas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submit entire packet to the UW Honors Program via email: Julie Villegas, email@example.com
Additional information and requirements for inbound exchange student applicants are located on the UW IPE website.
UW Honors application deadline for autumn quarter study is February 15 and for winter and spring terms the deadline is August 1.
The International Programs and Exchanges Office at the UW provides an informational portal for visiting exchange students.
For information about the University of Washington, visit:
For information about the UW Honors Program, visit:
International Student Services Office webpage:
Honors International Exchange Manager:
For Outbound UW Students
This exchange program is not restricted to Honors students; any eligible UW undergraduate may apply. The program is most appropriate for juniors and seniors with prior international experience who have demonstrated maturity and academic excellence. A 3.3 minimum GPA is required. Honors will screen applicants by paper application and interview advanced candidates. Acceptance is also conditional on Spanish proficiency, with a minimum of two years of college level Spanish or a B2 level in the Common European Framework of Languages. Some candidates will be expected to conduct a phone interview in Spanish with our partner exchange manager at UdeSA.
Outbound UW students pay exchange fee equivalent to UW tuition through the Home Tuition Program for Reciprocal Exchange*
- 1.5 quarters of UW tuition for semester-long exchanges
- 3.0 quarters of UW tuition for academic year exchanges
- Students billed via MyUW on regular UW tuition billing schedule
- Students pay housing & additional fees to host institution/housing facility
- All other costs are the responsibility of the participating student including...
- Compulsory international insurance
- All other incidentals
- Students may be eligible to use their regular financial aid and scholarship funds for study abroad, but must verify any and all financial aid prior to committing to the program
- Tuition waivers cannot be used toward study abroad or any direct exchange program, as tuition waivers cannot be used to pay study abroad program fees or exchange tuition equivalent fees
You are responsible for verifying your own financial aid by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid in Schmitz Hall.
*In 1997, the Legislature authorized the "Home Tuition" program as the primary means to fund international student exchanges. Under this program, UW students pay an amount equal to their regular tuition and select fees at the UW, and then study at the foreign host institution tuition-free. The funds paid by the outgoing UW student are then used to cover the tuition costs of the incoming international exchange student.
Housing accommodations are typically home stays near San Andrés. If a change in home stay family is necessary, San Andrés reserves the right to make changes up to a week before students arrive in Argentina. Once accepted by UdeSA, students will begin coordinating these details directly with our partner exchange manager at San Andrés.
Application Process for Outbound Students
- Complete the Honors Direct Exchange Ooutbound Application by posted deadline
- Interview with Honors Direct Exchange Manager(s)
- If nominated, you will receive instructions on how to formally apply to your chosen host institution. Final decision to admit you to the direct exchange program rests with the host institution. Once you receive formal acceptance from them, you will be directly communicating and coordinating your transition abroad with our partner representative abroad.
- Complete all international exchange requirements directed by UW via the International Programs & Exchanges Office (IPE) study abroad site. Once accepted, you will automatically begin to receive email instructions / prompts from IPE regarding this phase of the process related to Concurrent Enrollment Costs & Fees, Study Abroad Insurance, etc.
San Andrés follows the Southern Hemisphere calendar.
Deadlines to submit all application materials to the Honors Office:
- February 15 - Spring Semester (August - December)
- September 15 - Fall Semester (March - July)
- UdeSA website: www.udesa.edu.ar
- Phone (including country code): (005411) 47257084/ 6958
- San Andrés application requirements: Application with brief essays, online registration form , 1 letter of recommendation, additional letter of recommendation certifying Spanish Language level or recent certificates of student’s Spanish level, academic transcript, résumé, photocopy of passport
- Students may receive Spanish Credit, but must receive advance approval through the Spanish Department
- Language of instruction: All classes taught in Spanish
- Grading: 10 point scale
- 2 day orientation for exchange students
- All undergraduate classes available to exchange students
- Tuition waivers CANNOT be applied to direct exchange tuition
- Available exchange slots: 2-3 per year
- Recommended 3-4 courses per semester
- Academic term is semester system, so students receive 1.5 times the number of credits therefore tuition is charged at 1.5 times the normal rate
- 1 quarter credit ~ 1.33 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System); 15 quarter credits is about 20 ECTS
- UW's Outbound Student Procedures for Departmental Exchanges
- Sample UdeSA Budget [subject to change continually & without notice]
- Sample UdeSA admissions application (advanced candidates will be notified by Honors if eligible to complete)
- ECTS Credit Conversion Chart
- Universidad de San Andrés Exchange Handbook
Honors International Exchange Manager
Julie Villegas, firstname.lastname@example.org