The Honors Program is pleased to make available a direct exchange with the Universidad de San Andrés in Buenos Aires, Argentina. UW students will take regular courses across the curriculum (taught in Spanish) with Argentinean students. Students must prove intermediate level Spanish proficiency having studied Spanish a minimum of three years.
About Buenos Aires and the Universidad de San Andrés
The university serves as a gateway to the rich and vibrant cultural life of Buenos Aires, the "Paris of South America." Through museum visits and other activities, the program integrates the spirit of the city and unique academic experiences. The university arranges for students to live with Argentinean families in a secure, supportive environment.
Universidad de San Andrés (UdSA) is a small private liberal arts university that operates at a high international academic standard. The modern campus is located along the beautiful Rio de la Plata in the Buenos Aires suburb of Victoria. Trains run frequently from the campus to the city center. For more information about the university visit their website at www.udesa.edu.ar.
This exchange program is not restricted to Honors students only. Any eligible UW undergraduate may apply. The program is most appropriate for juniors and seniors with prior international experience who have demonstrated maturity and academic excellence. Honors will screen applicants by paper application and interview advanced candidates. Acceptance is also conditional on Spanish proficiency, with a minimum of three years required, and advanced candidates will be expected to conduct a phone interview in Spanish with our partner exchange manager at UdSA.
Outbound UW students pay exchange fee equivalent to UW tuition through the Home Tuition Program for Reciprocal Exchange*
- 1.5 quarters of UW tuition for semester-long exchanges
- 3.0 quarters of UW tuition for academic year exchanges
- Students billed via MyUW on regular UW tuition billing schedule
- Students pay housing & additional fees to host institution/housing facility
- All other costs are the responsibility of the participating student including...
- Compulsory international insurance
- All other incidentals
- Students may be eligible to use their regular financial aid and scholarship funds for study abroad, but must verify any and all financial aid prior to committing to the program
- Tuition waivers cannot be used toward study abroad or any direct exchange program, as tuition waivers cannot be used to pay study abroad program fees or exchange tuition equivalent fees
You are responsible for verifying your own financial aid by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid in Schmitz Hall.
*In 1997, the Legislature authorized the "Home Tuition" program as the primary means to fund international student exchanges. Under this program, UW students pay an amount equal to their regular tuition and select fees at the UW, and then study at the foreign host institution tuition-free. The funds paid by the outgoing UW student are then used to cover the tuition costs of the incoming international exchange student.
Housing accommodations are typically home stays near San Andrés. If a change in home stay family is necessary, San Andrés reserves the right to make changes up to a week before students arrive in Argentina. Once accepted by UdSA, students will begin coordinating these details directly with our partner exchange manager at San Andrés.
How to Apply
Outbound UW Applicants
- Complete the Honors Direct Exchange Online Application by posted deadline.
- Interview with Honors Direct Exchange Manager(s)
- If nominated, you will receive instructions on how to formally apply to your chosen host institution. Final decision to admit you to the direct exchange program rests with the host institution. Once you receive formal acceptance from them, you will be directly communicating and coordinating your transition abroad with our partner representative abroad.
- Complete all international exchange requirements directed by UW via the International Programs & Exchanges Office (IPE) study abroad site. Once accepted, you will automatically begin to receive email instructions / prompts from IPE regarding this phase of the process related to Concurrent Enrollment Costs & Fees, Study Abroad Insurance, etc.
San Andrés follows the Southern Hemisphere calendar.
Deadlines to submit all application materials to the Honors Office:
- February 1 - Spring Semester (August - December)
- September 1 - Fall Semester (March - July)
- UdSA website: www.udesa.edu.ar
- Phone (including country code): (005411) 47257084/ 6958
- San Andrés application requirements: Application form, 2 letters of recommendation, academic transcript, résumé, photocopy of passport
- Students may receive Spanish Credit, but must receive advance approval through the Spanish Department
- Language of instruction: All classes taught in Spanish
- Grading: 10 point scale
- 2 day orientation for exchange students
- All undergraduate classes available to exchange students
- Tuition waivers CANNOT be applied to direct exchange tuition
- Available exchange slots: 2-3 per year
- Recommended 3-4 courses per semester
- Academic term is semester system, so students receive 1.5 times the number of credits therefore tuition is charged at 1.5 times the normal rate
- 1 quarter credit ~ 1.33 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System); 15 quarter credits is about 20 ECTS
- Apply Now »
- UW's Outbound Student Procedures for Departmental Exchanges
- Sample UdSA Budget [subject to change continually & without notice]
- Sample UdSA admissions application (advanced candidates will be notified by Honors if eligible to complete)
- ECTS Credit Conversion Chart
- Universidad de San Andrés Exchange Handbook
Honors International Exchange Manager
Julie Villegas, email@example.com