The Honors Program is pleased to make available a direct exchange with the University of Utrecht Honors College in Utrecht in the Netherlands. UW students will take regular courses across the curriculum (taught in English) with Dutch students.
About Utrecht and the University of Utrecht Honors College
Utrecht University (UCU) near the heart of the city is the largest university in the Netherlands, offering an abundance of top-notch academic resources. The campus reflects an integration of tradition and history with cutting-edge technology and innovation. All courses are taught in English.
Utrecht, the fourth largest city in the Netherlands, is teeming with cultural and artistic opportunities for students. It is conveniently located 30 minutes from Amsterdam by train.
This exchange program is not restricted to Honors students only. Any eligible UW undergraduate may apply. The program is most appropriate for juniors and seniors with prior international experience who have demonstrated maturity and academic excellence. Honors will screen applicants by paper application and interview advanced candidates.
Outbound UW students pay exchange fee equivalent to UW tuition through the Home Tuition Program for Reciprocal Exchange*
- 1.5 quarters of UW tuition for semester-long exchanges
- 3.0 quarters of UW tuition for academic year exchanges
- Students billed via MyUW on regular UW tuition billing schedule
- Students pay housing & additional fees to host institution/housing facility
- All other costs are the responsibility of the participating student including...
- Compulsory international insurance
- All other incidentals
- Students may be eligible to use their regular financial aid and scholarship funds for study abroad, but must verify any and all financial aid prior to committing to the program
- Tuition waivers cannot be used toward study abroad or any direct exchange program, as tuition waivers cannot be used to pay study abroad program fees or exchange tuition equivalent fees
You are responsible for verifying your own financial aid by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid in Schmitz Hall.
*In 1997, the Legislature authorized the "Home Tuition" program as the primary means to fund international student exchanges. Under this program, UW students pay an amount equal to their regular tuition and select fees at the UW, and then study at the foreign host institution tuition-free. The funds paid by the outgoing UW student are then used to cover the tuition costs of the incoming international exchange student.
All UCU students are required to live on campus (no exceptions) on a room and board basis. A housing questionnaire is included in the application package.
Students live in a unit with 6 to 12 other Dutch and international students. Every student gets a single room. There are some double rooms available (with a discount in costs). Students share a bathroom with their housemates. There is a shared living room. All units have a kitchenette where students can prepare simple meals (a hotplate, a microwave, coffeemaker and refrigerator). Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served in the Dining Hall.
How to Apply - Outbound UW Students
- Complete the Honors Direct Exchange Online Application by posted deadline.
- Interview with Honors Direct Exchange Manager(s)
- If nominated, you will receive instructions on how to formally apply to your chosen host institution. Final decision to admit you to the direct exchange program rests with the host institution. Once you receive formal acceptance from them, you will be directly communicating and coordinating your transition abroad with our partner representative abroad.
- Complete all international exchange requirements directed by UW via the International Programs & Exchanges Office (IPE) study abroad site. Once accepted, you will automatically begin to receive email instructions / prompts from IPE regarding this phase of the process related to Concurrent Enrollment Costs & Fees, Study Abroad Insurance, etc.
Deadlines to submit all application materials to the Honors Office:
- February 1 - Autumn Semester (August - December)
- September 1 - Spring Semester (January - May)
- UCU website: http://www.uu.nl/ucu
- Phone: 31-30-2539900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact person for incoming exchange students: Marja Peursum
- UCU application requirements: application form, statement of purpose, recent transcript, and proof of English proficiency (if necessary), two passport photos
- Language of instruction: all courses are taught in English
- Grading: A-F
- Most undergraduate courses available to exchange students except lab courses and most language courses
- Tuition waivers CANNOT be applied to direct exchange tuition
- Full time study is 4 courses (16 units) per semester
- Academic term is semester system, so students receive 1.5 times the number of credits therefore tuition is charged at 1.5 times the normal rate
- 4 UCU credits = 7.5 ECTS, which is approximately 5.6 quarter credits
- Apply Now »
- UW's Outbound Student Procedures for Departmental Exchanges
- General Information Sheet
- Preliminary Course Enrollment Form
- Sample UCU Budget [subject to change continually & without notice]
- Sample admissions application (advanced candidates will be notified by Honors if eligible to complete)
- Credit Conversion Chart
- Language Proficiency Form (if necessary)
Honors International Exchange Manager
Julie Villegas, email@example.com