2014 Bonderman FellowshipDecember 9th, 2013
Hello Honors students!
We are pleased to announce that the Bonderman Travel Fellowship application is now available for the 2014 cycle. This extraordinary opportunity for travel, discovery, and challenge is made possible by the generous donation of Mr. David Bonderman. The criteria for application eligibility is outlined below.
Please note that the eligibility requirements for undergraduate students have been revised for 2014. We are instituting these changes on a trial basis and will review and make changes as needed annually in response to the donor’s recommendations.
University of Washington students in the following categories are eligible:
- graduate or professional degree program students;
- Undergraduate students (from the Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell campuses) with senior credit standing and a degree application on file, who also meet one of the following criteria:
- at least a 3.8 cumulative UW GPA by the start of Winter 2014; or
- participation and good standing in the University Honors Program (Interdisciplinary, Departmental or College Honors) or in UW Tacoma’s Global Honors Program, by the start of Winter 2014.
Additionally, applicants must be enrolled and in good standing during the quarter the application is due and must hold US citizenship or permanent residence status.
David Bonderman - the donor - wishes to give students an opportunity to experience learning and growth in new and unexpected ways. Bonderman Fellows will undertake international travel on their own for eight months, to six or more countries in two or more major regions of the world. Through solo travel the Fellows will focus on exploration and discovery, learning about the world and themselves in it.
Up to seven graduate and seven undergraduate Bonderman Fellowships will be awarded in Spring 2014. Each Fellowship carries a $20,000 award to be used only for extended solo international travel. Fellows may not conduct research, pursue an academic project, or participate in a formal program or organization.
To learn more about this extraordinary opportunity, please attend one of the following sessions.
- Wednesday December 11, 2014, 9:30 a.m., webinar
To register go to: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/904073526
- Monday December 16, 2014, 11:30 a.m., webinar
To register go to: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/619856990
- Friday, January 10, 2014, 2:30 p.m., room to be announced
Question and Answer sessions
Tuesday, January 14, 12:30-1:30 p.m., room to be announced
- Weekly online question and answer sessions: Tuesdays, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- January 21: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/911143086
- January 28: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/911147102
- February 4: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/911149798
- February 11: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/911153550
- February 18: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/911155006
The application deadline is Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 12 noon (PST).
Information about the fellowship and the application can be found at:
If you do not have the chance to attend one of the information sessions and you have questions about this award, please review the Bonderman Fellowship FAQ and watch the Webinar recordings (to be posted after December 11, 2013). If you still have questions you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.