Thank you for considering working with an Honors student on an Honors 499 independent study project. If you are unfamiliar with Honors independent study, please review the Honors 499 independent study web site, which outlines the process as well as examples of successful past projects.
Our commitment to providing a diverse, flexible, and in depth education is not possible without your commitment to working with our students in this intensive manner. We greatly appreciate your time and energy, and recognize the effort you will contribute to this project and to the student.
By agreeing to oversee an Honors 499 independent study, the instructor agrees to:
- Work with the student in creating an appropriate independent study syllabus and work plan
- Submit an initial online approval of the independent study proposal
- Provide a good learning and working environment for the student
- Communicate regularly with the student
- Work directly with the student and make explicit arrangements concerning expectations and goals for the independent study
- Evaluate the student’s work as outlined in the syllabus and submit a grade at the end of the quarter.
The student is agreeing to:
- Take the initiative on the overall project, including initial contact, generating project ideas, and maintaining regular communication with you, especially regarding any changes or difficulties
- Manage the application and approval process with the Honors Program
- Complete the agreed-upon plan of study over the course of the quarter
- Respect the learning objectives and expectations of the proposal and the Honors Program
Please don't hesitate to contact the Honors Program if you have any questions or concerns, and thank you again for your commitment to student success!
University of Washington Honors Program
211 Mary Gates Hall
Seattle, WA 98195-2800