January 10, 2014
2014-2015 Magnuson Scholar Program Requirements
Each of the six University of Washington Health Sciences Schools is invited to nominate a student for selection as Magnuson Scholars for the 2014-2015 academic year. The final review of the Magnuson Scholar candidates will be made by Health Sciences Administration based upon the Schools’ nominees meeting eligibility and selection criteria. The Institute’s projected total award for each school’s scholar in 2014-15 will be approximately $30,000. The actual amount is based on the fund performance and is determined in early March 2014.
• Magnuson Scholars are selected annually from applicants nominated by each of the six University of Washington Health Sciences Schools: Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Social Work.
• Students must be enrolled in a graduate program in the health professions at the University of Washington.
• Students may be nominated in consecutive years by their respective schools.
• At least one Magnuson Scholar will be selected in a career pathway preparing for or engaged in research related to diabetes, its antecedents, or complications.
• Scholars will be selected based upon academic performance and/or promise and the students’ potential contributions to research in the health sciences.
• Special consideration will be given to Washington state residents and students of underrepresented groups in the Health Sciences Schools.
By February 28, 2014 each school should submit the name of the nominated student and the required application materials for each nominee:
• Current program transcript
• One-page statement of career objectives
• One-page letter of recommendation from the supervising faculty member
Students interested in being considered should contact their Health Sciences School Dean’s office.