Jared Baeten, MD, PhD
Medical Director, International Clinical Research Center
Associate Professor of Global Health and Medicine
Dr. Baeten is an epidemiologist and infectious disease physician. His work focuses on risk factors for acquisition of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, and clinical trials of interventions to prevent HIV transmission in women and men.
Dr. Baeten is co-investigator for the Partners in Prevention HSV-2/HIV-1 Transmission Study and Co-Chair and Medical Director of the Partners PrEP Study.
- McClelland RS, Sangare L, Hassan WM, Lavreys L, Mandaliya K, Kiarie J, Ndinya-Achola J, Jaoko W, Baeten JM. Infection with Trichomonas vaginalis increases the risk of HIV-1 acquisition. J Infect Dis. 2007 Mar 1;195(5):698-702.
- Baeten JM, Chohan B, Lavreys L, Chohan V, McClelland RS, Certain L, Mandaliya K, Jaoko W, Overbaugh J. HIV-1 subtype D infection is associated with faster disease progression than subtype A in spite of similar plasma HIV-1 loads. J Infect Dis. 2007 Apr 15;195(8):1177-80.
- Baeten JM, Lavreys L, Overbaugh J. The influence of hormonal contraceptive use on HIV-1 transmission and disease progression. Clin Infect Dis. 2007 Aug 1;45(3):360-9. [review].
- Baeten JM, Benki S, Chohan V, Lavreys L, McClelland RS, Mandaliya K, Ndinya-Achola JO, Jaoko W, Overbaugh J. Hormonal contraceptive use, herpes simplex virus infection, and risk of HIV-1 acquisition among Kenyan women. AIDS. 2007 Aug 20;21(13):1771-7.
- Baeten JM, Strick LB, Lucchetti A, Whittington WL, Sanchez J, Coombs RW, Magaret A, Wald A, Corey L, Celum C. Herpes simplex virus (HSV)-suppressive therapy decreases plasma and genital HIV-1 levels in HSV-2/HIV-1 coinfected women: a randomized, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial. J Infect Dis. 2008 Dec 15;198(12):1804-8.