Teaching Conferences & Activities
General ward attending rounds, subspecialty
attending rounds, resident morning report, Chief
of Medicine rounds, noontime conferences, outpatient
teaching conferences, journal club, and many other
formal and informal teaching activities are held
regularly at each affiliated hospital. Many of these
teaching activities are used to present topics which
are part of our core curriculum in internal medicine,
since they are attended by residents from all pathways.
- Academic Half-Day – Thursday mornings, August through June: Following Grand Rounds, all residents on non-admitting rotations are scheduled for these half-day teaching conferences. Session topics vary, but include MKSAP-style board reviews, interactive small group teaching, and skill-building workshops. Many of the conferences are thematically linked together within a given half day session.
- Chairman's/Chief of Medicine Rounds
- Core Teaching Conference
A weekly series in which the same core
topics are presented simultaneously at each of the
Seattle training sites.
UWMC Monday, 12:30 – 1:30 PM, RR110
HMC Monday, 12:30 – 1:30 PM, R&T 117/121
VA Monday, 12 – 1 PM, 6B-109, Building 100
- Intern Report
Thursday, 11:30 – 12:30 PM
- Intern Teaching Conference
A case-based teaching series specifically designed
for Medicine R1s, held weekly from July to August.
These conferences, as well as the Resident Teaching
Conference, take place at a central location.
- Medical Grand Rounds
Held weekly at a central location.
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference
A conference held regularly at each facility.
- Morning Report
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10:00 am
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, & Friday 10 – 11 AM
- Senior Report
Tuesday, 7:30 am
- Patients, Physicians and Society
Wednesday, 9-11 am
- Wednesday Lunch Conference
A weekly conference held at each facility.
- Other Lunch Conferences
Wednesday and Friday
Courses & Workshops
In addition to the weekly conferences listed above,
there are many educational activities scheduled throughout
the academic year. These include:
- Career Explorations
Held in early October, all R2s are brought together for a six-hour workshop allowing exposure to different career paths, and covering such topics as CV and portfolio refinement, interviewing and negotiating skills, lifelong learning, and wellness and balance.
- Resident As Teacher Course
A comprehensive course designed to prepare residents for their roles as teachers and team managers.
- Evidence Based Medicine Course
- R1 Professional Development: Maximizing My Education
Held in late October the “Maximizing My Education” event covers a broad range of topics to include mentorship and RAMP, pathways, WWAMI opportunities, research opportunities, the GROW model, and schedule logistics.