Summer Research Programs
The University of Washington Molecular Engineering Materials Center (UW MEM·C) summer REU program is focused on exposing underrepresented minorities and veterans to a viable and relevant career pathway focused on materials and energy research.
Our Focus: Materials Resilience and Innovation
Undergraduates, including veterans, will find that the research topics are both challenging and relevant to their experience. How can we provide mobile, lightweight and inexpensive energy sources to our forces and to the communities they work with? How can materials research lead to new electronics that are super miniaturized, low energy consumption and reliable? How can new kinds of sensors be used to improve safety, efficiency, and effectiveness?
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program
If selected you will be embedded in one of the MEM·C labs for 9 weeks June 18-August 17. You will work with a graduate student and faculty to develop a research project, gain training in relevant techniques and instrumentation, collect data and finally produce a poster and research abstract. Students participate in a weekly seminar on undergraduate research covering research ethics, writing a research abstract, making a scientific poster.
- Duration: 9 weeks
- Dates: June 18 to August 17
- Stipend: $4000
- Travel and Housing: available as required
Closes February 16
The program is designed to open doors for those who would like to explore new career options. A solid math and science high school preparation will be sufficient. Work based experience will also be factored in. Open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. See the list of possible research labs.
- Personal statement (250 words): How does this fit into your career plans? Why do you believe that you are prepared to be successful? What research focus interests you the most?
- CV: Must include a listing of all education, training and work experience and your unofficial transcript. Please combine into one PDF file named “Lastname_CV.pdf”.
- Professional Recommendations (2 people): Please provide email addresses for two people who can provide a professional recommendation. We will contact them to request a letter and provide details.
Summer Research Experience for Teachers (RET) Program
Open to high school or middle school science teachers. Teachers learn about state of the art research in one of our labs and then translate the experience into lessons or curriculum they can use in their classrooms.
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Start Date: June 18, 2018
- Stipend: $4000
A summer program for underrepresented and underserved UW students during their transfer summer. Students participate in lab research combined with a rigorous math and chemistry enhancement designed to enhance success and retention. Apply through the UW ALVA office.
- Includes stipend and housing
Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at (206) 685-2029.