As New York's premier cultural institution dedicated to young people, the Children's Museum of Manhattan (CMOM) inspires children and families to learn about themselves and our world through an environment of interactive exhibitions and programs. Started in a neighborhood storefront in 1973, CMOM has grown to a 38,000 square-foot learning facility with outreach programs at more than 50 sites throughout New York City, and has become a destination for visitors from around the world.
Each year, CMOM serves more than 400,000 people, which includes 30,000 children who visit CMOM as part of a school group and more than 34,000 children served through offsite outreach programs. These outreach programs regularly serve children and their families from at-risk communities through partnerships with community-based organizations, schools, hospitals and libraries. A key aspect of the strategic plan is to provide free or low-cost access to CMOM and its programs to low-income families. In the past several years, the Museum's budget has grown with new local and national initiatives in health, early math and the arts.
The Grants Manager will report to the Director of Development and will be responsible for managing a portfolio of foundation, government and corporate funders, as well as identifying and researching new grant opportunities. This position requires an individual with excellent writing skills who is well-organized and enjoys teamwork. Specifically, this individual will:
- Create, implement and manage a comprehensive campaign targeted at foundations, government agencies and corporations;
- Research and record information about institutional donor prospects and opportunities, and maintain a system for accessing such information as needed;
- Develop and cultivate contacts within funding organizations; facilitate meetings between prospects and organizational leadership;
- Maintain task list timeline for all government and foundation application and reporting deadlines and ensure timely follow-up;
- Write and edit clear, concise, complete and compelling letters of intent, proposals, reports, and other correspondence for submission to foundation, corporate and government funders;
- Assist with budgets;
- Research external sources for statistics and proposal support information;
- Interact with executive level and program staff, and well as with foundation staff and government grant representatives;
- Assist with writing and editing documents for the education and exhibits departments as needed and as time allows;
- Assist in identification and pursuit of sponsorship and underwriting opportunities for exhibitions and programs;
Requirements: B.A. required; Master's Degree a plus
Experience: Minimum of three years working in a similar position
Additional Qualifications: Excellent writing skills (quality and speed); excellent verbal, interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work well in fast-paced environment under tight deadline pressure; computer proficiency of Word and Excel required; familiarity with Raiser's Edge helpful; knowledge of New York philanthropic community, with an emphasis on arts, culture and education funders; must be flexible to work simultaneously on a number of documents; flexibility to complete project deadlines; ability to self-motivate, collaborate and maintain a sense of humor are critical.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Grants Manager" in the subject line.
No phone inquiries, please.
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered. The Children's Museum of Manhattan is an equal opportunity employer.