Reporting to the Director of Library External Affairs, the Library Exhibitions Manager provides direction and vision and is responsible for overall management of the Emory University Libraries Exhibition program which includes the Schatten Gallery as well as exhibition spaces in the Manuscripts, Archives & Rare Books Library (MARBL), Oxford Library, and Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library and various satellite exhibition spaces within the Robert W. Woodruff Library. The Library Exhibitions Manager provides curatorial, administrative and other support services for all Emory Libraries exhibitions and affiliated events and programming in support of the Library’s mission and role in the academic and larger community. The incumbent manages an active and ongoing exhibitions program that is growing along with the acquisition of special collections. As a member of the External Affairs Division, the incumbent works with all levels of University and Library staff and coordinates the exhibitions schedule; plans and designs exhibitions; and supervises staff assigned to prepare and mount exhibitions. Exhibitions play a key role in advancing the library’s strategic initiatives and enhance its role as cultural institution within the Emory community and Atlanta at large and serve to promote the library’s collections and resources.
Applications/resumes must be submitted online through http://www.emory.edu and looking for job posting #34800BR. Please include a letter of interest along with your resume. For more information, contact Linda Nodine at (404) 727-0240, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Master’s degree in a relevant field (art history, archival studies, etc.) and three years of exhibition design, exhibition installation or related experience OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Knowledge of gallery administration, education, interpretation and/or development of exhibitions.
- Ability to work varied schedules including evenings and weekends to accommodate exhibition preparation, set-up and attendance at exhibition-related events held outside the traditional M-F/8-5 work week. Ability to attend opening events and other exhibition-related events and programs and public speaking ability and willingness to serve as an ambassador for Emory University Libraries.
- Ability to assist with actual physical set up for exhibitions which requires standing, walking, stooping, bending, and reaching and being able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience working in a library or museum setting in gallery administration, education, interpretation and/or development of exhibitions.
- Demonstrated ability to combine creativity with an interpretive and narrative approach to exhibition design and presentation. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with exhibition installation practices and knowledge/understanding of key issues and trends in exhibition practices.
- Demonstrated evidence of graphic design experience (print materials such as book, catalog, magazine, Web, brochures, programs, etc.) in both the physical and digital environments.