We are now accepting applications for the Fall of 2015. All materials must be received online or postmarked by January 15, 2015. International students are encouraged to apply by November 1, 2014. We encourage all applicants to prepare and submit your applications well before the deadline.
To find out in detail about our online application process, please review the following documents which were created to make application clear and painless. Most applicants find all of their questions answered by these documents.
The program receives between 150-190 applications per academic year. We typically invite around 30-35 to join the program. All those admitted commence study in the Autumn Quarter, without exception.
Admission to the University of Washington is necessarily a selective process. Prospective students must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or its equivalent from a foreign institution.
- Have earned at least a 3.0 or B grade-point-average in the most recent two years of study.
- The Museology Program does not enforce a minimum GRE score, but the average score of successful applicants in the past has been in the 1200 range (for tests taken prior to August 1, 2011). Applicants may submit valid scores from either test. For information on the GRE test and the new revised test, please visit http://www.ets.org A concordance table is available at http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf
The Desired Applicant
In addition to the minimum requirements of the Graduate School, the Museology Program seeks applicants with:
- A passion and commitment for innovation, research and informal learning
- Clarity of purpose
- A diversity of academic backgrounds which might include the hard sciences, social sciences, humanities or research, education and design
- Experience working in museums or informal learning environments
- Excellent letters of reference and articulate application essays (see Prepare to Apply Online for details)