Nordic Heritage Museum 2013 Job Description
Position Title: Registrar
Reports To: Chief Curator
Revision Date: September 16, 2013
Responsible for the accurate and timely registration and documentation of donations to Museum collections and temporary loans. Under the direction of the Chief Curator support the Curator of Collections in performing all aspects of collection management. Execute special projects.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the Chief Curator and the Curator of Collections in sharing Nordic culture by preserving collections and exhibiting art and objects.
- Complete necessary documentation associated with acquisitions, loans, and temporary exhibitions, including deeds of gift, loan agreements, contracts, insurance, and condition and facilities reports.
- Oversee administration of PastPerfect, the collections management database system, including establishing standards for data entry and performing data clean-up.
- Supervise volunteers and interns who assist with collections and collection management tasks.
- Oversee collections photography as well as rights and reproduction.
- Participate in the review of objects offered to the museum’s collection, and administer the acceptance or decline of such objects.
- Directed by the Chief Curator, enhance the interpretation of collections objects exhibited in permanent and temporary exhibitions along with Curator of Collections, and Exhibitions Coordinator.
- Assist with public access and utilization of the collections for research by responding to inquiries in partnership with the Chief Curator, Curator of Collections, and Gordon Tracie Library Archivist.
- Maintain supplies and materials related to the collections.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including special projects.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and prioritize tasks.
- Highly organized and detail focused.
- Ability to take initiative and ask questions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- BA or equivalent with at least 5 years relevant experience working in a museum collections department or a MA degree with 2 years relevant work experience.
- Familiarity with Nordic material culture
- Preferable proficiency in one or more Scandinavian languages
- Occasional weekend and evening work
- Proficient in PC platform
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, Excel, and Past Perfect (or comparable) collections management software.
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Ability to be seated/standing for extended periods
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. All employees are expected to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please forward cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the attention of Chief Curator Lizette Gradén at email@example.com. Incomplete applications will be not be considered.
Application Close Date: Open until filled