The WWAMI Rural Health Research Center (RHRC) is one of seven rural health research centers funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (FORHP) to perform policy-oriented research on issues related to rural health care. The WWAMI RHRC, which was established in the fall of 1988, is based in the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine and works closely with the state departments of health and Area Health Education Centers in the five WWAMI states (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho) as well as other researchers and policymakers across the United States and internationally.
Learn More »
Latest RHRC Publications
- Doescher MP, Jackson JE, Fordyce MA, Lynge DC. Variability in General Surgical Procedures in Rural and Urban U.S. Hospital Inpatient Settings. Policy Brief #142. Seattle: WA, WWAMI Rural Health Research Center, University of Washington, February 2015.Full report.
- Skillman SM, Andrilla CHA, Patterson DG, Fenton SH, Ostergard SJ. Health information technology workforce needs of rural primary care practices. J Rural Health, Winter 2015, 31(1):58-66.
- Skillman SM, Kaplan L, Andrilla CHA, Ostergard S., Patterson DG. Support for rural recruitment and practice among U.S. nurse practitioner education programs. Policy Brief #147. Seattle, WA: WWAMI Rural Health Research Center, University of Washington, May 2014. Full report
- Baldwin LM, Andrilla CHA, Porter MP, Rosenblatt RA, Patel S, Doescher MP. Do rural patients with early-stage prostate cancer gain access to all treatment choices? Final Report #144. Seattle, WA: WWAMI Rural Health Research Center, University of Washington; Feb 2014. Full report. Policy brief.
New RHRC Studies
- Impacts of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants on Future Provision of Primary Care in Rural Areas.
- Practice Characteristics of Rural Nurse Practitioners in the United States.
- Family Medicine Rural Training Track Graduates: Determinants of Rural and Urban Practice.
- Access to Home Care Services in the Rural United States.
More News »
Descriptions of completed and in-progress rural health studies by the WWAMI RHRC.
View Studies »
Links to resources for more information about rural health and related topics
View Resources »