Music can enhance a digital media production significantly. Permission to use copyrighted material can be hard to obtain, and expensive. So there are a number of sources of royalty free music available to the digital producer. Here are a few examples:
“Audio and Music for Film for Creative Non-Commercial Use (Commercial Licensing Available)”
- Professionally produced music by a small recording house on the East Coast
- The Freesound Project
- A huge user-generated library of blips, beeps, and other soundeffects.
- Creative Commons
- Search ccMixter, Jamendo, and othe CC sites from the Creative Commons project search page.
- OWL Music Search
- Match on sound qualities of a music you like. Upload a clip you like from your library and find music that sounds like it.
- Black Sweater White Cat
- The project has dropped in activity lately, but it is still a great resource to find artists and NetLabels you like.
- FTM Blogs about CC music: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
There are also a number of sources for royalty free music that are available at low cost:
Professionally produced music with a broad library of low cost music samples and sound effects.