How to Apply to our Program
Residency positions for the general surgery program at the University of Washington are matched via the National Resident Matching Program.
- NRMP number for the categorical positions is 1918440C0
- NRMP number for the research positions is 1918440C1
- NRMP number for the 2-year preliminary positions is 1918440P0
- NRMP number for the 1-year preliminary positions is 1918440P3
Applicants are welcome to apply for and rank both the categorical and research tracks.
UW Department of Surgery participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), hosted by the Association of American Medical Colleges.
- We do not accept paper applications.
- Applicant photos are downloaded from ERAS and useful in the ranking process, therefore it is considerably advantageous for applicants to submit their photo.
- We strongly encourage completion of the USMLE Step 2 CK exam prior to January 1 of the application year.
- Please refer to your medical school of graduation for Student Workstation Kits
Students and graduates of foreign medical schools should view our Certificate Program for International Physicians, which is a pre-requisite for those who seek residency positions in our program. Canadian applicants should contact the Canadian Residents Matching Service. F-1 Visa holders must receive pre-approval prior to ranking.
Our application deadline is October 1st.
Interview offers will go out November 1st.
All applicants will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in the University of Washington!
The University of Washington and the Department of Surgery are deeply committed to expanding the diversity of our programs and meeting the medical needs of all people. To this end, we strongly encourage applications from individuals with disadvantaged backgrounds and/or those who have future interest in serving underserved populations.