Off-Campus Communications Services
Off-Campus Communications Services allows groups that are physically located off campus to be connected to the UW phone and data networks. UW-IT can provide desktop phone service that provides 5-digit dialing to other UW numbers, as well as the Regional Calling Service that allows local dialing to most locations from Bellingham to Olympia (for more information see http://www.uw.edu/itconnect/phones/longdistance.html#rcs). In addition, customers can choose to be connected to the UW data network at various speeds using a UW-installed wired, wireless or combined connection.
T1 Line and T1 Line Mileage:
- The T1 line is ideal for low bandwidth requirements. Each T1 line is 1.5Mbps. In general, a site may order up to four T1 lines for a total of 6Mbps before other options are explored. Mileage charges may apply based on which central office provides the T1 line. Allow three to four weeks for order processing, installation, and testing. An Out of Band Modem Line is required with this option.
Qwest QMOE (Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet)
- QMOE is a leased fiber service integrated with the UW Data Network. In general, QMOE connections will either be 20Mbps, 50Mbps, or 100Mbps, but other bandwidth options may be available such as 500Mbps and 1000Mbps. There is a minimum four-year term requirement. Allow at least three months for order processing, installation, and testing. An Out of Band Modem Line is required with this option.
UW Metro Area Ethernet
- UW Metro Area Ethernet is used to provide 1000Mbps connections. Allow approximately one year to provision because of dependencies for permits and coordination with the City of Seattle.
- UW-IT managed subnet-level firewall.
- A redundant router connection via Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) for high availability.
- In addition, if the site cannot connect directly to the UW network, an IPsec VPN can extend UW data network connectivity through a secondary Internet Service Provider. UW telephone, wired, and Wi-Fi services may not be available with this connectivity option.
UW academic units; UW administrative units. UW Medicine and clinical departments should email UW Medicine IT Services at email@example.com for service.
If you already have UW-IT phone and data services at an off-campus location and need to add, disconnect, or change the service:
UW-IT partners with the Real Estate Office to provide phone and data services for new off-campus locations. The Real Estate will help fill out the form below for most new locations. To contact the Real Estate Office directly, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Attention Tenant Services Manager" in the subject line.
For locations not served by the Real Estate Office, the form may be filled out directly, and they will receive a copy.
When filling out this SharePoint Request Form, please log in using this format:
- Login: NetID\yourNetID
- Password: yourNetID password
Off-campus connectivity and troubleshooting is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Response time during off-hours may be slower due to decreased off-hours staffing levels.
Rates effective July 1, 2014 for FY2015
|Connectivity Type||Installation Charges||Monthly Charges||Other Charges|
$940 for a new install
$470 to add T1's
|Each T1 Line: $266.54||
Monthly T1 Line Mileage (if applicable): Varies
Out of Band Modem line: $40.49 per month
|QMOE (Qwest)||$470 + applicable facility charges (estimated facility charges ~$2,500 - $10,000)||
20Mbps or 50Mbps: $1,343.97
|Out of Band Modem Line: $40.49 per month|
|UW Metro Area Ethernet||1000Mbps: $940 + applicable construction and facility charges (estimated construction and facility charges ~$30,000 - $250,000)||Monthly Charge for 1000Mbps: $809.86|
A site evaluation is required for estimates because costs can vary widely depending on the location and services needed.
- Telecommunications Closet/Room: Average is $10,000+ per telecommunications closet/room/IDF.
Cabling: Average is $175 per cable run (for 150 ft. cable). The standard is 3 cables per outlet for a total of $525 per outlet.
- Installation Charge: Three hours of Network Engineering @ $120.50 per hour
- Monthly Charge: $299.48
- Monthly Charge for Out of Band Modem Line: $40.49
Requires a valid UW budget number.
Service is dependent on external service providers, and is generally available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Service is monitored by the UW Information Technology Network Operations Center. Response time during off-hours may be slower due to decreased off-hours staffing levels.
Email email@example.com or call 206-221-5000.